Blow for Prince Harry in British security battle

Prince Harry has said he doesn’t feel safe in the UK without security. Photo: Getty
Prince Harry reportedly faces the prospect of losing his renewed bid for taxpayer-funded security in Britain.
The Duke of Sussex and his wife Meghan Markle have fought for years to have security provided through Britain’s Home Office.
It follows their decision to step back from royal duties in 2020 and relocate to North America. The couple’s publicly funded protection was cancelled after the move and the issue has since been under review by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures.
According to Britain’s Daily Telegraph, divisions remain within the committee, with security officials said to support reinstating protection due to ongoing threats, while political figures are wary of public reaction.
“The political side believe[s] there is too much political risk, while the police and security chiefs believe that he absolutely must have it due to the extant threat,” a source told the Telegraph.
The disagreement comes as Harry and Meghan continue to fund their private security, having previously offered to personally pay for protection on visits to Britain.
That proposal was declined, according to reports. Harry and Meghan have repeatedly claimed that the lack of official protection has affected his ability to travel with his family – including son Prince Archie, six, and four-year-old daughter Princess Lilibet.
In 2022, Harry said he “does not feel safe” in Britain, stating that his family had allegedly “been subjected to well-documented neo-Nazi and extremist threats”.
The Home Office responded at the time that the duke had “failed to appreciate” its position as the “expert, and democratically accountable, decision-maker on matters of protective security”.
In May 2025, Harry lost an appeal relating to his security arrangements and criticised the decision-making process of the committee.
He said he had asked the Home Secretary “to urgently examine the matter and review the RAVEC process”, describing the move as “a last resort”.
The case continues to raise questions around security provision for members of the royal family who no longer carry out official duties. The committee’s decision is still pending.
It comes as Harry and Meghan are preparing to visit Australia in April.
News
“EVERYONE MISSED THIS… AND NOW OUTLANDER FANS ARE LOSING THEIR MINDS.”
A Hidden Detail Changes Everything About Outlander’s Series Finale At first glance, Outlander’s final episode appears to deliver a fairly straightforward conclusion. Jamie’s fate at the Battle of King’s Mountain is foreshadowed across the final season, and Episode 10, “And the World…
“THE CROWN IS HIDING SOMETHING FAR DARKER THAN ANYONE IMAGINED…”
“HAUNTING: WHEN THE VEIL OF THE EMPIRE IS TORN APART — DIANE LANE AND KEVIN COSTNER’S NEW HIT HAS EVERYONE SHUDDERING!” — A buried scandal following the death of a respected royal figure threatens to shake the monarchy forever. Prepare…
“NBC IS OFFICIALLY BRINGING BACK A TV LEGEND…”
Boreanaz will be joined by former “SEAL Team” co-star Michaela McManus, as well as Felix Solis and Jacki Weaver. NBC has officially copped the reboot of the classic TV series, The Rockford Files, with David Boreanaz as the titular private investigator. The network…
“FANS SAY THEY’RE NOT EMOTIONALLY READY FOR THIS ENDING…”
Finale Neal Street Productions/Olly Courtney “Sometimes love speaks loudest as we let it go.” Those words were part of Vanessa Redgrave’s concluding voiceover in May 3’s penultimate episode of Call the Midwife. After the May 10 finale, viewers who’ve followed this sterling…
“TAYLOR SHERIDAN JUST DROPPED ANOTHER THRILLER ON STREAMING… AND FANS ARE ALREADY HOOKED.”
Wind River, the “impressive” crime thriller from Yellowstone creator Taylor Sheridan, has landed a new streaming home in the UK. Written and directed by Sheridan, the film stars Elizabeth Olsen and Jeremy Renner. Released in 2017, the film follows Renner as Cory…
“VIEWERS SAY THIS MOVIE HITS SO HARD THEY COULDN’T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT…”
Scroll back up to restore default view. Sally Field stars in the moving drama Remarkably Bright Creatures, based on Shelby Van Pelt’s hit debut novel, as a widow who forms an unlikely bond with an octopus at the local aquarium…
End of content
No more pages to load