Congresswoman sues Trump over renaming of Kennedy CenterOhio Rep. Joyce Beatty is suing President Trump, arguing that an act of Congress is required to change the name.
A federal judge in Washington, D.C., ruled Saturday mostly in favor of Rep. Joyce Beatty, D-Ohio, in her effort to obtain more details about the planned closure and renovation of the Kennedy Center, which is set for a board vote at the White House on Monday.
Judge Christopher Cooper also ruled that as a trustee, Beatty must be afforded a “meaningful opportunity to provide input” and not be “categorically barred” from speaking at the meeting, which President Donald Trump is set to chair.

The Kennedy Center is shown next to the Potomac River in Washington, D.C.
STOCK IMAGE/Getty Images
But Cooper stopped short of requiring at this stage that Beatty be permitted to cast a vote as a trustee, saying that is a “trickier question” with no clearcut answers.
Who controls the Kennedy Center — Trump or Congress?
“As the foregoing facts suggest, a project of this salience and magnitude—which threatens to involve at least some demolition and reconstruction of a major national memorial and active performing arts theater—does not happen overnight,” Cooper said in his ruling.
The judge directed the government to provide Beatty with materials on the project ahead of the Monday meeting.
“The government’s assertion, both in its briefing and at the hearing, that such information is ‘preliminary’ and not yet sufficiently ‘finalized’ to share with the full slate of decisionmakers—just four days before the Board is set to vote on a complete, two-year closure of the Center they are statutorily charged with overseeing—borders on preposterous,” Cooper said.

In this Jan. 1, 2026, file photo, a person and a dog walk in front of the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images, FILE
Beatty’s pending lawsuit challenges the renaming of the Kennedy Center to the Donald J. Trump and John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, as well as the pending closure and renovations. Cooper said the court will address those issues at a later date.
“No president has the authority to shut Congress out of the governance of the Kennedy Center, much less unilaterally rename or demolish it,” Beatty said in a statement Saturday. “We will not stand by while an important part of our national heritage is jeopardized, and I intend to make that clear at next week’s board meeting.”
The White House didn’t immediately have a comment about the ruling.
Asked for comment on the lawsuit previously, White House spokesperson Liz Huston told ABC News in a statement that the Kennedy Center’s board voted to rename it after Trump “stepped up and saved the old Kennedy Center.”
Trump says steel to be ‘fully exposed’ in Kennedy Center rebuild but ‘not ripping it down’
As for whether a sitting member of the House who serves on the Kennedy Center board as a function of her office can vote, Judge Cooper said that the legal argument in Beatty’s favor is strong, but how the board has operated in practice in that respect is not clear.
Some veterans of the Kennedy Center recalled ex-officio members of the board voting, while others say they never observed that.

In this Jan. 10, 2026, file photo, the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., is shown. Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images, FILE
The board approved a bylaws change last May to delineate presidentially-appointed general trustees from “nonvoting” ex-officio members.
“Though the Court thinks that Beatty has the better statutory argument as to both participation and the right to vote, her battle for emergency relief on these fronts is not yet won,” Cooper ruled.
News
FAMILY OF TEEN OFFENDER K!LLED IN ST0LEN UTE CRASH HITS BACK AT CRITICS — CALL HIM A ‘BEAUTIFUL YOUNG MAN’
Family of notorious teen offender killed in fatal stolen ute crash hit back at his critics A notorious teen offender who was killed in a horror crash in an allegedly stolen ute over the weekend has been remembered as a…
FAMILY OF TEEN OFFENDER K!LLED IN ST0LEN UTE CRASH HITS BACK AT CRITICS — CALL HIM A ‘BEAUTIFUL YOUNG MAN’
Family of notorious teen offender killed in fatal stolen ute crash hit back at his critics A notorious teen offender who was killed in a horror crash in an allegedly stolen ute over the weekend has been remembered as a…
HEARTBREAKING NEWS: HERO SECURITY GUARD WHO D!ED TRYING TO SAVE WORSHIPPERS IN SAN DIEGO MOSQUE ATTACK IDENTIFIED AS FATHER OF EIGHT
Hero security guard who died trying to save others in San Diego mosque shooting identified as father of eight children A heroic security guard died while trying to save others when a pair of teenagers opened fire at a mosque in…
HERO SECURITY GUARD IDENTIFIED AFTER DEADLY MOSQUE SH00TING — COMMUNITY MOURNS MAN WHO ‘TRIED TO SAVE EVERYONE’
Hero security guard who died trying to save others in San Diego mosque shooting identified as father of eight children A heroic security guard died while trying to save others when a pair of teenagers opened fire at a mosque in…
MAN CHARGED WITH MURD3R AFTER WOMAN AND TWO YOUNG CHILDREN FOUND D3AD INSIDE CAMPBELLTOWN HOME
Campbeltown triple alleged murder: Md Shomon Ahamed is charged with murder after the bodies of woman and two children, aged 4 and 12, are found A Sydney man has been charged with murdering his partner and two children in an alleged domestic violence attack…
ANTHONY ALBANESE UNDER FIRE AFTER DISMISSING CALLS FOR FEMICIDE ROYAL COMMISSION — RADIO HOST’S EMOTIONAL RESPONSE SPARKS NATIONAL DEBATE
Two women killed in two murder-suicides on a single day – but ‘tone-deaf’ PM stuns radio host by dismissing calls for a royal commission Anthony Albanese has come under fire after dismissing calls for a royal commission into violence against women…
End of content
No more pages to load