A popular swimming spot in Sydney’s National Park has been closed after a brutal shark attack has left a young boy fighting for his life.

A 12 year old boy was attacked by shark, prompting a huge emergency response(Image: Sky News)
Beachgoers in Sydney Harbour have been told to avoid an area known as ‘Shark Beach’ after a child was rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries following a shark attack.
New South Wales police have advised locals and tourists to stay clear of the popular swimming spot in Nielsen Park, Vaucluse following the serious incident which has left a young boy fighting for his life.
In a statement they said: “The beach has been closed and swimmers are advised to avoid swimming in the water at this time.”
They added: ” Swimmers are advised to avoid entering nearby waters,” revealing that a young boy is now in critical condition after suffering “injuries consistent with what is believed to have been a large shark”.
The public have been warned against swimming at Shark Beach after a boy was attacked by a shark(Image: Sky News)
Nielsen Park’s ‘Shark Beach’ is a popular, family-friendly coastal destination and offers an area protected by netting for visitors to explore the water safely without the threat of sharks.
Prior to the incident, it is believed the boy was jumping off rocks at one end of the beach outside of the netted area before being ambushed by the shark at about 4:20pm on Sunday.
Last year, the Nielsen Park faced delays when installing the seasonal shark netting which is placed in the water during the warmer Australian summer months to deter the predators from areas open to the public. It was successfully completed in early December making the area inside the net safe.

View 4 Images
Nielsen Park beach has a netted area for visitors to swim in protecting it from sharks who populate the waters in warmer months(Image: Getty Images)
The boy, who is believed to be around 12 years old, was reportedly recused from the water near Nielsen Park, Vaucluse by police after reports from the public that he was being set upon by the animal. Photos of the scene show a large emergency response.
The youngster, who suffered server trauma to his legs, received immediate medical treatment onboard a New South Wales Water Police vessel before being taken to Rose Bay West Boat Ramp about 7km east of Australia’s Central Business District.
Once out of the water, New South Wales Ambulance paramedics then provided care, including two medical tourniquets used to help stop serious and life-threatening bleeding to the limbs.
The boy was then airlifted by intensive care helicopter to Sydney Children’s Hospital in Randwick where he is currently being treated for his injuries.

View 4 Images
A huge emergency response was coordinated after the 12 year old was left with life-threatening injuries(Image: Sky News)
It is not yet clear when the area will be reopened but for now, the public are being advised to steer clear of the potentially shark infested waters.
News
A rare insight is shedding light on royal life. A close friend of Princess Kate has revealed how she’s coping amid what’s being described as “unprecedented turbulence” within the royal family
Princess Kate’s close friend reveals how she’s dealing with ‘unprecedented turbulence’ in royal family The Princess of Wales made a return to official visits abroad with her trip to Reggio Emilia in Italy last week – and it has a…
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
“Vanished Without a Trace” – CCTV Footage of Devon Teen Sparks Chilling New Theory After 12 Days of Silence
Large-scale search continues to find missing teen Taylor Charlton was last seen on CCTV on 8 May in Barnstaple Detectives say a large-scale police investigation is continuing as part of efforts to find a missing Devon teenager. Devon and Cornwall…
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
End of content
No more pages to load