Alex Pretti’s loved ones said he “wanted to make a difference in this world” before his Jan. 24 shooting death
Alex Pretti, the scene of the Minneapolis shooting on Jan. 24.Credit : va.gov;Getty
The family of Alex Pretti, the man who was shot and killed by federal officers in Minneapolis, is speaking out and hitting back at claims made about the ICU nurse.
In a statement, obtained by CNN, Pretti’s loved ones began, “We are heartbroken but also very angry.”
“Alex was a kindhearted soul who cared deeply for his family and friends, and also the American veterans whom he cared for as an ICU nurse at the Minneapolis VA hospital,” they continued. “Alex wanted to make a difference in this world. Unfortunately, he will not be with us to see his impact.”
Pretti’s family then gave more insight into his final moments, indicating that he may have been attempting to “protect a woman” before he was fatally shot.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(1204x694:1206x696):format(webp)/Minnesota-Shooting-012426-04-c296424b3ec74113ad43a8a66d824bcb.jpg)
The scene of the Minneapolis shooting on Jan. 24.Arthur Maiorella/Anadolu via Getty
The family next took aim at the United States’ leadership under President Donald Trump, writing in their statement, “The sickening lies told about our son by the administration are reprehensible and disgusting.”
Tricia McLaughlin, the assistant secretary for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), alleged in a statement to PEOPLE that Pretti “approached” U.S. Border Patrol officers while armed with a handgun and “violently resisted” as they attempted to disarm him.
She said an agent then fired “defensive shots.” Pretti was 37.
During a press conference after the shooting, Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara was questioned about the DHS’ account of the incident. He referred to footage captured from the scene, stating, “The video speaks for itself.”
Pretti’s family also questioned the DHS’ account, writing in their statement, “Alex is clearly not holding a gun when attacked by Trump’s murdering and cowardly ICE thugs.”
“He has his phone in his right hand and his empty left hand is raised above his head while trying to protect the woman ICE just pushed down, all while being pepper-sprayed,” they continued, then concluding: “Please get the truth out about our son. He was a good man. Thank you.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/Alex-Jeffrey-Pretti-012426-1-256f5a0db44a4a149e74a719b34aabb2.jpg)
Alex Pretti.va.gov
McLaughlin’s statement to PEOPLE said “DHS law enforcement officers were conducting a targeted operation in Minneapolis against an illegal alien wanted for violent assault” at around 9:00 a.m. local time on Jan. 24.
At least 200 protesters arrived near the scene of the shooting soon after, The Associated Press reported, leading to confrontations between federal law enforcement and locals.
During the Jan. 24 press conference, O’Hara said preliminary details about the incident suggested that there was “more than one law enforcement officer involved in the discharge.” He also pointed to “public video that shows several law enforcement officers in a scuffle with someone.”
Pretti’s nursing license, obtained by PEOPLE, shows he had been a registered nurse since January 2021 and previously worked at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
News
A rare insight is shedding light on royal life. A close friend of Princess Kate has revealed how she’s coping amid what’s being described as “unprecedented turbulence” within the royal family
Princess Kate’s close friend reveals how she’s dealing with ‘unprecedented turbulence’ in royal family The Princess of Wales made a return to official visits abroad with her trip to Reggio Emilia in Italy last week – and it has a…
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
“Vanished Without a Trace” – CCTV Footage of Devon Teen Sparks Chilling New Theory After 12 Days of Silence
Large-scale search continues to find missing teen Taylor Charlton was last seen on CCTV on 8 May in Barnstaple Detectives say a large-scale police investigation is continuing as part of efforts to find a missing Devon teenager. Devon and Cornwall…
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
End of content
No more pages to load