A major police operation will kick off on Sunday to search rugged bushland for items linked to missing Belgian backpacker Celine Cremer.

Police will return to the rugged bushland near Waratah on Sunday in a renewed effort to locate further items linked to Belgian backpacker Celine Cremer, nearly three years after she vanished while hiking in Tasmania’s northwest.
The search comes after human bones were discovered near Philosopher Falls in January by volunteer bushwalker Jarrod Boys, sparking a fresh police operation.
Ms Cremer, 31, was reported missing on June 26, 2023, after she failed to board the Spirit of Tasmania following a hike at Philosopher Falls.
Her car was found in the falls carpark, and initial police searches were hampered by wild winter conditions, including snow, subzero temperatures, and heavy rain.
Police will return to the rugged bushland near Waratah on Sunday as part of a renewed effort to locate further items linked to missing Belgian backpacker Celine Cremer.
Commander Nathan Johnston said a team of specialist personnel would be deployed along the Arthur River for two days, weather permitting, with a focus on a 350m section of riverbed where previous items were discovered.
“Based on current forecasts, conditions on Sunday and Monday are expected to be suitable for helicopter operations, which will allow us to safely winch our search and rescue experts into the site,” Commander Johnston said.
The operation will involve six police search and rescue personnel and two wilderness paramedics, who will support both the search and manage the risks associated with the challenging terrain.
“Specialised equipment will be used to clear natural log jams in case relevant materials have become trapped,” he added.
The renewed operation follows the discovery of human bones in late January by volunteer bushwalker Jarrod Boys, which prompted police to launch a fresh search of the area. Picture: Tasmania Police
Commander Johnston said the number of personnel was “appropriate for the complexity and environment of the task”.
He explained that while volunteers and SES members had previously assisted, the extreme conditions required specialist training and equipment.
“The associated safety and liability risks mean this aspect of the search must be undertaken by police specialists,” he said.
“Our priority is to recover as much as we can, to build a complete picture of what has occurred, and to help provide answers for Celine’s family. That remains at the heart of this operation.”
In December, private searchers including Mr Boys (back) located Ms Cremer’s mobile phone, water bottle, and other items, confirming she had been in the area prior to her disappearance. Photo: Facebook
The search follows earlier discoveries by private searchers. In December, Mr Boys and other volunteers located Ms Cremer’s mobile phone, water bottle, and other items, confirming she had been in the area. Then in late January, he came across human remains.
Shortly after, police found more bones and clothing items, including a polar fleece jacket, which Commander Johnston said are believed to “likely to belong to Celine”.
Formal forensic confirmation is ongoing, and police have warned it could take several weeks to determine if the remains are Ms Cremer’s.
Her family has thanked those involved in the search for their ongoing support.
News
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
Tributes are pouring in for Dr Nikhil Autar, a pioneering young doctor and former NSW Young Australian of the Year, who has d!3d at just 32
Tributes flow for pioneering doctor, former NSW Young Australian of the Year Dr Nikhil Autar following death at age 32 A “beloved” young doctor and former NSW Australian of the Year who overcame teenage leukaemia has died aged 32. A…
TRAGIC CRASH VERDICT — Man sentenced over f4tal collision that k!ll3d Ian Welldon in Toowoomba
Man sentenced for killing Ian Welldon in Toowoomba truck and motorcycle crash Ian Welldon was described by his family as funny, kind and hard-working. (Supplied: Welldon family) Allan John Eveleigh has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail after pleading guilty…
End of content
No more pages to load