The BBC is once again defending itself over its decision not to broadcast the 2026 Commonwealth Day Service on its main channel, despite agreeing to air the Installation of the Archbishop of Canterbury on Wednesday, which the Prince and Princess of Wales will attend.
For the first time since 1989, the Commonwealth Day Service, which was attended by King Charles, Queen Camilla, and other senior members of the Royal Family on March 9, was not broadcast on BBC One.
Instead, the channel opted to air an episode of Escape to the Country.
The broadcaster is, however, scheduled to air the Installation of the 106th Archbishop of Canterbury on Wednesday, March 25.
Kensington Palace has confirmed that Prince William and Catherine, who previously met Sarah Mullally on February 5 at Lambeth Palace, will be in attendance during the ceremony.
When GB News asked the BBC about its decision to air this event, but not the Commonwealth Day Service, a spokeswoman exclusively said: “The Installation of an Archbishop of Canterbury, the most senior bishop in the Church of England, is an historic event and we are pleased to be able to broadcast the ceremony to audiences across the UK.
“Our decision not to broadcast the Commonwealth Day Ceremony in the same way we’ve done in previous years reflects the difficult choices we have to make in light of our funding challenges.
“The event was covered by BBC News.”

BBC ‘pleased’ to broadcast event attended by Catherine and William despite previously sparking backlash
| GETTY

Catherine and William pictured at the Commonwealth Day Service on March 9, 2026
There is precedent for the BBC prioritising events such as these, as the Installation of the 105th Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, was aired by the broadcaster in 2013.
The synopsis for Wednesday’s event states: “Historically known as an enthronement, the installation marks the symbolic start of the archbishop of Canterbury’s public ministry in the Church of England and across the Anglican Communion.
“Dame Sarah Mullally is the first woman to take this role.”
Archbishop Sarah legally became Archbishop of Canterbury in January, but her installation at Canterbury Cathedral will mark the symbolic start of her public ministry.
The BBC is once again defending itself over its decision not to broadcast the 2026 Commonwealth Day Service on its main channel, despite agreeing to air the Installation of the Archbishop of Canterbury on Wednesday, which the Prince and Princess of Wales will attend.
For the first time since 1989, the Commonwealth Day Service, which was attended by King Charles, Queen Camilla, and other senior members of the Royal Family on March 9, was not broadcast on BBC One.
Instead, the channel opted to air an episode of Escape to the Country.
The broadcaster is, however, scheduled to air the Installation of the 106th Archbishop of Canterbury on Wednesday, March 25.
Kensington Palace has confirmed that Prince William and Catherine, who previously met Sarah Mullally on February 5 at Lambeth Palace, will be in attendance during the ceremony.
When GB News asked the BBC about its decision to air this event, but not the Commonwealth Day Service, a spokeswoman exclusively said: “The Installation of an Archbishop of Canterbury, the most senior bishop in the Church of England, is an historic event and we are pleased to be able to broadcast the ceremony to audiences across the UK.
“Our decision not to broadcast the Commonwealth Day Ceremony in the same way we’ve done in previous years reflects the difficult choices we have to make in light of our funding challenges.
“The event was covered by BBC News.”

BBC ‘pleased’ to broadcast event attended by Catherine and William despite previously sparking backlash

Catherine and William pictured at the Commonwealth Day Service on March 9, 2026
There is precedent for the BBC prioritising events such as these, as the Installation of the 105th Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, was aired by the broadcaster in 2013.
The synopsis for Wednesday’s event states: “Historically known as an enthronement, the installation marks the symbolic start of the archbishop of Canterbury’s public ministry in the Church of England and across the Anglican Communion.
“Dame Sarah Mullally is the first woman to take this role.”
Archbishop Sarah legally became Archbishop of Canterbury in January, but her installation at Canterbury Cathedral will mark the symbolic start of her public ministry.

Prince William and Catherine previously met Sarah Mullally on February 5 at Lambeth Palace
| GETTY
She will take her seat, or be “installed”, in two special chairs: first as Archbishop of Canterbury in the “Quire Cathedra” and then in the ancient chair of St Augustine.
The symbolic elements will also include Archbishop Sarah’s arrival, in which she will bang three times on the West Door of the Cathedral seeking permission to enter.
As well as the Prince and Princess of Wales, Sir Keir Starmer, and the Leader of the Opposition, Kemi Badenoch, will be there.
There will also be representatives from the Vatican as well as leaders of the Roman Catholic Church across the British Isles, the Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Churches, and other major Christian denominations.

Dame Sarah Mullally is the first woman appointed to the Church of England’s most senior clerical role in its nearly 500-year history | PA
When the BBC confirmed the Commonwealth Day Service would not be aired on its main channel, a spokesman defended the scheduling change.
He told the Sun at the time: “Our decision not to broadcast the Commonwealth Day ceremony in the same way we’ve done in previous years reflects the difficult choices we have to make in light of our funding challenges.
“BBC News plans to cover the service across its platforms, including the BBC One bulletins and rolling news channel.”
News
Trag!c New Details Emerge After 24-Year-Old Soldier D!es Following Fall At Royal Windsor Horse Show
Trag!c New Details Emerge After 24-Year-Old Soldier D!es Following Fall At Royal Windsor Horse Show 7 A heartbreaking new statement has been released after a 24-year-old soldier tragically d!ed following a fall from her horse during the prestigious Royal Windsor…
Paris Jackson’s $463K Estate Demand Sparks New Drama Around Michael Jackson Fortune
Paris Jackson’s $463K Estate Demand Sparks New Drama Around Michael Jackson Fortune 6 Paris Jackson has ignited a fresh wave of controversy surrounding the late Michael Jackson’s massive estate after reportedly filing a legal petition seeking an additional $463,000 —…
Hollywood fans are LOSING IT after Kendall Jenner and Jacob Elordi were spotted stepping out with Kylie Jenner and Timothée Chalamet following a luxury dinner in Los Angeles
Hollywood Goes Into Frenzy After Kendall Jenner, Jacob Elordi, Kylie Jenner And Timothée Chalamet Spotted On Glamorous Double Date 7 Los Angeles is once again at the center of celebrity chaos after four of Hollywood’s biggest young stars were spotted…
KYLIE JENNER REVISITS THE MOST TERRIFYING MOMENT OF HER PREGNANCY — AND ONE DETAIL HAS FANS COMPLETELY SHAKEN
Kylie Jenner Opens Up About “Terrifying” Pregnancy Scare That Left Family Deeply Worried 6 Kylie Jenner is opening up about one of the most frightening experiences she faced during pregnancy — revealing a deeply emotional moment that left her family…
“HE MUST PAY” FLORIDA PROSECUTORS SEEK MAXIMUM PENALTY IN H0RRIFIC HAMMER MURD3R CASE
Florida Prosecutors Seek Death Penalty Against Haitian Migrant Accused Of Brutal Hammer Killing At Gas Station Florida prosecutors have announced they will seek the death penalty against Rolbert Joachin, a 40-year-old Haitian national accused of carrying out a horrifying hammer…
“WE WILL NOT LET THIS GO” FAMILY OF KUMANJAYI LITTLE BABY CAUGHT IN BITTER FUNDRAISER CHAOS AFTER TRAGIC DE@TH OF 5-YEAR-OLD
“DONATIONS MEANT FOR A GRIEVING FAMILY ARE NOW AT THE CENTER OF A BITTER DISPUTE”: Fundraiser Controversy Erupts After Death Of Baby Kumanjayi Little A heartbreaking tragedy in Alice Springs has now spiraled into a deeply emotional public dispute after…
End of content
No more pages to load