First case of hantavirus from cruise ship confirmed in North America
A Canadian resident who set sail on the cruise ship at the center of a global hantavirus outbreak has become the first person in North America to test positive for the illness.
Dr Bonnie Henry, British Columbia’s provincial health officer, announced on Saturday that one of the four Canadians isolating in the province after disembarking the MV Hondius ship earlier this month received a ‘presumptive positive’ test.
She said the unidentified individual is part of a couple in their 70s from the Yukon who have been isolating since they returned to the country on May 10, and developed ‘mild symptoms’ on Thursday including a fever and a headache.
A test on the individual late Friday evening then came back positive for the Andes strain of hantavirus, which was later confirmed with further testing by the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg, according to the CBC.
The other person also had ‘minor symptoms’ when they were assessed, but tested negative for the virus.
‘The patient [who tested positive] is stable, the symptoms remain mild at this point and they are still in hospital in isolation, being monitored and receiving care as needed by the healthcare worker team in the hospital,’ Henry said.
At the same time, she said, a third cruise passenger who was in isolation in British Columbia, also in their 70s, has been transferred to a hospital for assessment and testing out of an abundance of caution.
Meanwhile, a fourth person from British Columbia in their 50s who lives abroad, continues to isolate at home.

+5
View gallery
A Canadian resident who set sail onboard the MV Hondius cruise ship has become the first person in North America to test positive for the illness. A passenger is seen waving inside a bus after being disembarked from the cruise ship at the port of Granadilla in Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain earlier this month

+5
View gallery
The unidentified individual is part of a couple in their 70s from the Yukon who have been isolating since they returned to the country on May 10, and developed ‘mild symptoms’ on Thursday including a fever and a headache. Canadian residents are pictured boarding a plane after disembarking from the ship

+5
View gallery
It is believed the outbreak started after a Dutch couple onboard the MV Hondius (pictured) contracted the virus while bird watching in Argentina
Those in the hospital are being held in negative pressure rooms, said Dr Reka Gustafson, chief medical health officer for the Island Health Authority, as she assured the public that the two hospitals are prepared.
Henry has also noted that the province had infection control precautions in place from the moment the four cruise passengers arrived in British Columbia.
‘I’m confident there’s no additional risk to anybody else outside of the people who’ve been caring for these individuals,’ she said.
‘They have no contact with the public, and health care workers are using well-established protocols that they know well, that are able to protect them, to protect the other patients in the health care facility, and visitors as well.’
The Public Health Agency of Canada echoed that statement, saying the overall risk to the general population from the Andes hantavirus outbreak linked to the cruise ship remains low.
‘All confirmed cases to date have been passengers or crew on the MV Hondius cruise ship,’ the agency said in a statement.
‘Given the severity of this virus, we are taking a precautionary approach to ensure Canadians are protected.’
The four Canadian cruise ship passengers from British Columbia had all been isolating on Vancouver Island for a minimum of 21 days to limit exposure, The Globe and Mail reports.
However, on Saturday, Henry said officials are still considering how long they will have to quarantine.
‘But make no mistake, we will be following the four individuals daily, actively for at least 42 days,’ she said.

+5
View gallery
Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, Dr Joss Reimer, previously said provincial and territorial public health authorities were asking 26 people across the country to monitor for symptoms
Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, Dr Joss Reimer, previously said provincial and territorial public health authorities were asking 26 people across the country to monitor for symptoms – even though they were considered ‘low risk’ after sharing a flight with someone who tested positive for the virus.
Another nine were classified as high-risk and were told to isolate in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia because they were either passengers onboard the MV Hondius or had close contact with someone infected with hantavirus on a flight.
But until now, officials have said nobody in Canada had shown any symptoms of the hantavirus, which has an incubation period that could last weeks.
The confirmed case in Canada now marks the 12th case linked to the cruise across the world, including three deaths.
It is believed the outbreak started after a Dutch couple contracted the virus while bird watching in Argentina.
The Andes strain of the virus has been linked to previous incidents in which hantavirus spread via human transmission, though the virus normally spreads through contact with rat droppings.
There is no evidence so far that the virus that spread onboard the ship has any new characteristics that would make it more transmissible or more dangerous, according to France’s Pasteur Institute.
It had announced over the weekend that it has fully sequenced the virus detected in a French passenger on the MV Hondius and found that it matched viruses already known in South America, according to The Guardian.

+5
View gallery
France’s Pasteur Institute announced over the weekend that it has fully sequenced the virus detected in a French passenger on the MV Hondius and found that it matched viruses already known in South America
Still, in the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said it is monitoring 41 Americans across 16 states who had potential hantavirus exposure.
One American, a doctor who was a guest on the cruise ship, began treating ill passengers when the ship’s doctor was sickened, tested positive for the virus, but he has since tested negative three times.
About half of the Americans are being monitored by the CDC at quarantine centers in Georgia and Nebraska, while the other half are isolating at home.
Admiral Brian Christine, a controversial Trump-nominated assistant health secretary who is now leading the country’s hantavirus response, said last week the risk of hantavirus to the American people is ‘very, very low.’
He also said health officials are promising a response ‘grounded in science’ and ‘grounded in transparency,’ noting that the Department of Health and Human Services has taken the situation ‘seriously from the very beginning.’
News
JUST IN: CH1LLING INTERROGATION VIDEO SHOWS TRANS K!LLER CALMLY CONFESSING TO EX3CUTING BOTH PARENTS — CLAIMING FAMILY CONFLICT PUSHED HER OVER THE EDGE
See trans killer’s calm confession after she shot both parents dead over gender transition fight A newly released police interrogation video opens with a chilling confession from convicted Utah killer Mia Bailey just hours after she executed both her parents. Mia murdered…
JUST MINUTES AGO: TRAGIC FIRST PIC EMERGES OF MAN, 51, WHO D!ED DAYS AFTER BELFAST BREAK-IN ASSAULT — POLICE NOW HUNTING FOR MULTIPLE INTRUDERS
ATTACK PROBE Tragic first pic of man, 51, who died in hospital days after assault during Belfast break-in as murder probe launched THE man killed following an assault during an east Belfast break-in has been named. Nicholas ‘Nicky’ Gordon, 51,…
SH0CKING: TYSON FURY’S 16-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER MARR!ES 18-YEAR-OLD BOXER IN LAVISH PRIVATE CEREMONY — INTERNET LEFT STUNNED OVER ONE UNEXPECTED DETAIL
Tyson Fury’s 16-Year-Old Daughter Venezuela Marries Boyfriend Noah Price, 18, in Private Wedding Ceremony Venezuela shared a TikTok video showing her excitement as she woke up to get ready ahead of the wedding Venezuela Fury is married. Heavyweight boxing champion Tyson Fury’s…
TEEN BOY D!ES AFTER ALLEGED ST0LEN UTE SMASHES INTO TREE IN H0RRIFIC HIGHWAY CR@SH — TWO OTHERS NOW F!GHTING FOR LIFE
Family of notorious teen offender killed in fatal stolen ute crash hit back at his critics A notorious teen offender who was killed in a horror crash in an allegedly stolen ute over the weekend has been remembered as a…
“DOCTORS THOUGHT IT WAS JUST A HEADACHE… THEN HER LIFE CHANGED FOREVER.”The hidden condition that nine-year-old stole Aussie’s life stuns the nation
The hidden condition that stole our little girl: Aussie dad’s warning after nine-year-old dies following brain bleed A grieving family spent Mother’s Day saying goodbye to their only child after she unexpectedly suffered a rare and catastrophic brain bleed. Nine-year-old…
“THAT WAS THE LAST TIME ANYONE SAW HIM ABOVE THE SURFACE…”
Last words of Italian marine biologist who died in Maldives scuba dive tragedy revealed The last words of one of the marine biologists who died in a scuba diving accident in the Maldives were a tribute to the lifelong passion…
End of content
No more pages to load