Perth spearfisher killed by shark remembered as devoted father and ocean lover
The wife of Perth man Steven Mattaboni has described her husband as a devoted father and “one-of-a-kind gentleman” after he was killed in a shark attack off Rottnest Island.
The 38-year-old died on Saturday morning after he was attacked while spearfishing near Horseshoe Reef, about one kilometre off the coast of the island near Perth.
Mattaboni had been in the water with friends when he was bitten on both legs by what authorities believe was a great white shark.
Watch the video above.
Steven Mattaboni, his wife, Shirene, 33, and their two children. (Supplied)
His mates witnessed the attack before pulling him onto their boat and racing him to the jetty at Geordie Bay, where paramedics worked for more than 30 minutes to save him.
Despite desperate efforts by friends and emergency crews, the father-of-two could not be revived.
READ MORE: Beaches remain open on Rottnest Island after man killed in shark attack
In an emotional statement, Mattaboni’s wife, Shirene, said her husband had an unmatched love for the ocean and his family.
“He was fiercely loyal, endlessly generous and the kind of man who would give you the shirt off his back,” she said.
Rottnest Island beaches have remained open following the attack, which claimed the life of Steven Mattaboni. (Supplied)
“The world has lost a truly one-of-a-kind gentleman, and our daughters have lost an incredible father far too soon.”
Known to friends as “Mattas”, Mattaboni was an avid fisherman and experienced spearfisherman.
He leaves behind two young daughters, including a baby just four months old.
His wife also thanked emergency services and first responders who rushed to help after the attack.
St John WA ambulance paramedics and police were called at about 10am. (9News)
WA Police Sergeant Michael Wear said on Saturday the incident had been traumatic for everyone involved.
“His friends have actually witnessed the horrific event,” he said.
“The victim was on the surface at the time, about 20 metres away from the vessel.”
Authorities confirmed Mattaboni suffered critical injuries to both lower legs during the attack.
Despite CPR from his friends and emergency crews, he could not be saved. (Supplied)
Fisheries officers continued patrols around Rottnest Island on Sunday after a five-metre white shark was spotted about 80 metres offshore earlier in the day.
Despite the sighting, beaches on the island have remained open.
Shark expert Dr Daryl McPhee said the attack happened a considerable distance offshore and did not suggest an increased danger for beachgoers in shallow water.
“I don’t think there’s an elevated risk for anyone in the shallows.
“I’d be more concerned if the bite occurred right on the beach, but it’s a long way off shore,” he said.
Mattaboni is survived by his wife, pictured, and two young children. (Supplied)
His mates witnessed the attack before pulling him onto their boat and racing him to the jetty at Geordie Bay, where paramedics worked for more than 30 minutes to save him. (9News)
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development is assisting local authorities following the fatal attack.
Australia recorded the highest number of fatal shark attacks in the world last year, according to figures released by the International Shark Attack File in February.
SOURCe: https://www.9news.com.au/national/shark-attack-rottnest-island-perth-western-australia-steven-mattaboni/5a0a5e86-f5dd-4556-8115-8ed72ed0a0e2
News
BREAKING UPDATE: “SHE DIDN’T JUST VANISH” HAUNTING NEW VIDEO MAY HAVE JUST BLOWN OPEN CASE OF MISSING FLORIDA WIFE WHO VANISHED FROM BAHAMAS BOAT
“SHE DIDN’T JUST VANISH”: Haunting New Video Sparks Explosive Theory In Mystery Of Missing Florida Woman Who Disappeared From Bahamas Boat 😳🌊 6 A chilling new video is now reigniting one of the internet’s most disturbing missing-person mysteries after the…
BREAKING UPDATE: MOM OF SAN DIEGO MOSQUE SH00TER WARNED POLICE HOURS BEFORE DEADLY ATT@CK — CH1LLING NEW DETAILS EMERGE
Desperate attempt by mom of San Diego mosque shooter to alert police to threat before son opened fire as one of two teenage killers is pictured A California mother desperately tried to alert police that her teenage son and his friend may…
“IT WAS AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN” — LOCAL DIVE EXPERT REVEALS WHY HE NEVER ENTERED DEADLY THIRD CHAMBER IN MALDIVES CAVES
I’ve been to the Maldives death caves countless times but NEVER into the third chamber where the tourists died… it was an accident waiting to happen, says local expert as he describes the horrors the group could have experienced there…
LATEST UPDATE: “THESE CAVES SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ENTERED” — LOCAL EXPERT ISSUES CH1LLING WARNING AFTER DEADLY MALDIVES DIVING TRAG3DY
I’ve been to the Maldives death caves countless times but NEVER into the third chamber where the tourists died… it was an accident waiting to happen, says local expert as he describes the horrors the group could have experienced there…
MAN CHARGED AFTER WOMAN AND TWO YOUNG CHILDREN FOUND D3AD INSIDE CAMPBELLTOWN HOME — POLICE DESCRIBE ‘PARTICULARLY VIOLENT’ SCENE
A Sydney man has been charged with murdering a woman and two children in an alleged domestic violence attack police have described as among the most brutal they have seen. Md Shomon Ahamed, 47, was arrested at a Campbelltown property in south-western Sydney on…
FAMILY OF TEEN OFFENDER K!LLED IN ST0LEN UTE CRASH HITS BACK AT CRITICS — CALL HIM A ‘BEAUTIFUL YOUNG MAN’
Family of notorious teen offender killed in fatal stolen ute crash hit back at his critics A notorious teen offender who was killed in a horror crash in an allegedly stolen ute over the weekend has been remembered as a…
End of content
No more pages to load