A heartbroken coastal community has paid tribute to a 12-year-old boy who was fatally mauled by a shark in Sydney Harbour.
Hundreds have gathered to pay tribute to 12-year-old Nico Antic who died last week after being mauled by a shark at a Sydney Harbour beach.
On Sunday, heartbroken community members took part in a special paddle out ceremony, where surfers and bathers ventured out into the waters of North Bondi and gathered in a circle in memory of Nico.
The turnout included members of North Bondi Surf Lifesaving Club, where the beloved child was a nipper, his schoolmates from Rose Bay Secondary College and teammates from his football club.
Nico’s parents, Lorena and Juan, were reportedly present at the ceremony.
Hundreds of Sydneysiders showed up to the paddle-out. Picture: NewsWire / Monique Harmer
There were emotional scenes at North Bondi. Picture NewsWire / Monique Harmer
Last week, the couple announced the young boy’s passing in a statement issued through the Children’s Hospital in Randwick.
“We are heartbroken to share that our son, Nico, has passed away,” they said.
“Nico was a happy, friendly, and sporty young boy with the most kind and generous spirit.
“He was always full of life and that’s how we’ll remember him.”
North Bondi paddle‑out remembers schoolboy Nico Antic after fatal shark attack
Surfers, lifesavers and…
Nico is the first person to die of a shark attack in Sydney Harbour in more than six decades.
On January 18, Nico had been jumping from rocks with mates at Sydney Harbour near Shark Beach when he was bitten by a suspected bull shark about 4.20pm.
He was pulled from the water by his brave friends after suffering critical injuries to his legs during the attack.
But, despite being rushed to hospital, Nico ultimately died of his injuries the following Saturday.
Nico was beloved by the local community, who turned out to celebrate his memory. Picture: NewsWire / Monique Harmer
Nico’s death has triggered an outpouring of grief. Picture: NewsWire / Monique Harmer
Bystanders look on as community members pay tribute. Picture: NewsWire / Monique Harmer
A close friend of the Antic family, Victor Piñeiro, started up a GoFundMe following the attack, which has raised more than $270,000 as of Sunday morning.
“Tragically, (the Antic family’s) beloved child, Nico, was attacked by a shark on Sunday in Sydney Harbour and sustained devastating injuries. Despite all efforts, this heartbreaking event has led to the worst possible outcome,” the fundraiser description read.
“We are raising funds to help the Antic family cover upcoming expenses and related arrangements during this incredibly difficult time.
“Any contribution, no matter the size, would be deeply appreciated and will help ease the financial burden as they grieve. All funds will be donated to the Antic family.
“Thank you for your kindness and support.”
News
A surprising detail from the past has emerged about — and it’s caught royal fans completely off guard
Princess Kate’s surprising link to Downton Abbey star revealed Though she’s now happily married to Prince William, the Princess of Wales once reportedly had a crush on an actor that many of us will have seen on screen… any years…
Prince William shared a heartfelt message about Kate on a special live radio broadcast — and it touched the hearts of listener
Prince William says family ‘couldn’t cope without’ Kate during cancer treatment on live radio appearance The Prince of Wales has joined Amanda Holden and Jamie Theakston on Heart FM from the Isles of Scilly for a special live broadcast rince…
Eyebrows are being raised over fresh comments. Mike Tindall has reportedly taken subtle swipes at Prince Andrew and Prince Harry — sparking speculation about underlying tensions
Mike Tindall takes swipes at Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and Prince Harry Mike Tindall revealed he had been warned against discussing the former Duke of York Mike Tindall has took swipes at Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and Prince Harry during an appearance at the…
An unexpected performance is stealing the spotlight. King Charles surprised locals by playing a ukulele as his visit to Northern Ireland came to an end.
King Charles shocks locals with ukulele solo as Northern Ireland trip concludes The monarch performed in front of a crowd on the final day of his three-day trip with Queen Camilla King Charles demonstrated his musical talents during the final…
A rare insight is shedding light on royal life. A close friend of Princess Kate has revealed how she’s coping amid what’s being described as “unprecedented turbulence” within the royal family
Princess Kate’s close friend reveals how she’s dealing with ‘unprecedented turbulence’ in royal family The Princess of Wales made a return to official visits abroad with her trip to Reggio Emilia in Italy last week – and it has a…
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
End of content
No more pages to load