Celine Cremer went missing in the Tasmanian bush in 2023. (Supplied: Facebook)
A bushwalker has located human remains near the Philosopher Falls area in Waratah on Tasmania’s west coast, where tourist Celine Cremer went missing in 2023, according to Tasmania Police.
Police Inspector Andrew Hanson said Ms Cremer’s family in Belgium was notified this afternoon.
“We understand how distressing this development may be for her loved ones, and while everyone involved hopes it will help to provide answers, formal forensic analysis is required before we can determine whether the remains belong to Celine,” he said.
Tasmania Police say forensic testing will take place to determine whether the remains are those of Ms Cremer. (Facebook)
Inspector Hanson said the bushwalker had been searching the area as part of continued efforts to find out what happened to Ms Cremer.
“The volunteer contacted police immediately after the discovery, and officers from the Western District, along with specialist forensic personnel, are attending the scene,” he said.
“While forensic testing is yet to be completed, a pathologist has reviewed images and confirmed the remains are human.”
Celine Cremer, Belgian tourist missing in Tasmania 2023, image from Facebook. (Facebook)
Bushwalker tells of discovery
Jarrod Boys, a volunteer search team member, said he stumbled across human remains, about two-and-a-half hours into the search.
“I was just praying for a miracle that I’d be able to find something today,” he said.
“I stopped to catch my breath and looked down and about a metre in front of me was a couple of human bones.”
“I guess I went into shock. I was very overwhelmed. I’m not a particularly emotional guy, but yeah, it was definitely an emotional experience for me.”
He said he quickly snapped some pictures and raced back up to the track to get some phone reception to call police.
Mr Boys said the remains were found about two hours’ walking distance from where other items were discovered in December, in an area the search party had not been through.
“The bones that I saw were just lying on top of a pile of soil and stones,” he said.
Celine Cremer’s phone was found during a recent search of the area, renewing hopes her remains would eventually be found. (Australian Story: Morgan Timms)
Ms Cremer was 31 and travelling in Tasmania as a backpacker when she disappeared during a bushwalk near Philosopher Falls in June 2023.
A significant search effort was held in the months following her disappearance, but was unable to locate her.
In December 2025, her mobile phone was found in thick shrub about 300 metres from the walking track, during a renewed search.
Those involved in the search have theorised that Ms Cremer became disoriented and lost after walking off the track on a cold afternoon, before losing her phone.
News
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
Tributes are pouring in for Dr Nikhil Autar, a pioneering young doctor and former NSW Young Australian of the Year, who has d!3d at just 32
Tributes flow for pioneering doctor, former NSW Young Australian of the Year Dr Nikhil Autar following death at age 32 A “beloved” young doctor and former NSW Australian of the Year who overcame teenage leukaemia has died aged 32. A…
TRAGIC CRASH VERDICT — Man sentenced over f4tal collision that k!ll3d Ian Welldon in Toowoomba
Man sentenced for killing Ian Welldon in Toowoomba truck and motorcycle crash Ian Welldon was described by his family as funny, kind and hard-working. (Supplied: Welldon family) Allan John Eveleigh has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail after pleading guilty…
End of content
No more pages to load