Marius Borg Hoiby is facing 38 charges, including rape.

Marius Borg Hoiby is facing 38 charges (Image: Getty)
In less than a week’s time, Crown Princess Mette-Marit’s son, Marius Borg Høiby, will be heading to court to begin a lengthy trial; however, the latest update from the Norwegian Royal Family confirms he will be in court alone.
On February 3, Høiby will appear in Oslo District Court, where he is facing 38 charges; however, his mother and stepfather, Crown Prince Haakon, have confirmed that they will not be present. The counts on which he is charged include alleged rape, abuse in a close relationship against one former partner, and acts of violence against another, making death threats, and traffic violations.
The update comes one day after Marius was handed six more charges, including those for allegedly transporting 3.5 kilograms of marijuana and two under the Traffic Act. In a new statement confirming they will not be in court, the Crown Prince also said the Royal Family does not wish to comment on the trial and that official duties will continue. He adds that the Crown Princess will spend a few weeks at a private residence.
In an update posted on the Norwegian Royal Family website, a statement read: “We are thinking a lot about all the parties involved in this matter. This is something that affects them, their families, those who love them. We care about them. We know that many of you are going through a difficult time right now.
“At the same time, it is good to know that we live in a state governed by the rule of law. I am sure and have confidence that those responsible for the trial will work to ensure that it is conducted in as orderly, proper and fair a manner as possible.
“Marius Borg Høiby is not part of the Royal Family, so in that sense he is free. But we love him, of course, and he is an important part of our family. And he is a citizen of Norway. Through that, he has the same responsibilities as everyone else, but also the same rights.”

Marius Borg Hoiby is Crown Princess Mette Marit’s son from a previous relationship (Image: Getty)
Until the end of last year, the Royal Family had remained largely quiet on Marius’s case. However, in an interview with the Times in December, the Crown Princess spoke about the limitations she has owing to her pulmonary fibrosis diagnosis, before rejecting claims that she had tipped her son off about his impending arrest with a phone call.”I think it’s been quite a strain to be accused of such serious things, which of course I did not do,” Mette-Marit said. “The thing that perhaps upsets me the most is being criticised for how we’ve handled it as parents, that we didn’t take it seriously. I find that hard.”
“I think it’s been quite a strain to be accused of such serious things, which of course I did not do,” Mette-Marit said. “The thing that perhaps upsets me the most is being criticised for how we’ve handled it as parents, that we didn’t take it seriously. I find that hard.”
Mette-Marit said the family had sought “professional help” for her son. “So it feels a little unfair [to claim] that we didn’t take the situation seriously, because I think we have,” she said. “Being a parent is the most vulnerable thing you can do. And I think all parents … will recognise that there is an incredible amount of self-blame involved.”
News
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
Tributes are pouring in for Dr Nikhil Autar, a pioneering young doctor and former NSW Young Australian of the Year, who has d!3d at just 32
Tributes flow for pioneering doctor, former NSW Young Australian of the Year Dr Nikhil Autar following death at age 32 A “beloved” young doctor and former NSW Australian of the Year who overcame teenage leukaemia has died aged 32. A…
TRAGIC CRASH VERDICT — Man sentenced over f4tal collision that k!ll3d Ian Welldon in Toowoomba
Man sentenced for killing Ian Welldon in Toowoomba truck and motorcycle crash Ian Welldon was described by his family as funny, kind and hard-working. (Supplied: Welldon family) Allan John Eveleigh has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail after pleading guilty…
End of content
No more pages to load