Jacob Tait (left) and Reon Namba say they huddled as waters rose at Barron Falls. (Supplied: Reon Namba)
Three teenagers have recounted how they became trapped near a pumping Far North Queensland waterfall, before a helicopter rescue crew winched them to safety.
Reon Namba and Jacob Tait, both 16, and Amber Kukulies, 14, set off for a waterfall hike and overnight camp at Barron Gorge, north-west of Cairns, on February 14.
Armed with pocketknives, torches, three days’ worth of food and equipment to boil water, the teenagers thought they were well prepared.
But they had not accounted for how quickly conditions could change in the tropical wet season.
“It was daytime, and it was beautiful and it didn’t really seem to be dangerous at the time,” Reon said.
“But things turned bad pretty quickly.”
Amber Kukulies and Reon Namba, (centre), and Jacob Tait have been reunited with the rescue crew. (ABC Far North: Rosanne Maloney)
As the group made their way, weather conditions worsened and the teenagers became surrounded by fast-flowing and rising water.
On Monday night, the trio was reunited with the rescue crew that flew around the misty cliffs of Barron Gorge to rescue them in the dark night.
“I found it very hard to listen to the roar of water,” Amber said.
“It was basically like death screaming at us and just watching the water rise, bit by bit.”
Fast water and a 30-metre drop
Reon organised the camping and stargazing excursion, having “eyed off the spot for a while”.
As the trio started crossing a stream, “the water started coming in faster”.
“But we didn’t turn around,” he said.
“We probably should’ve.”
Amber and Reon in the rescue helicopter after they were winched from Barron Falls. (Supplied: Reon Namba)
At one point, the group managed to drag themselves onto a small rocky island surrounded by white, foamy water.
As Reon looked down, he saw the edge of a waterfall, which he described as a 30-metre drop onto flat rock.
Jacob had a close call when he went underwater, having had his vision blinded by a hat.
“Reon came in after me and basically dragged me to shore,” he said.
Jacob says he slipped from this rock and was rescued by Reon. (Supplied: Reon Namba)
“As the night progressed, the water went up faster — so it was a good call to get out of there,”
he said.
It was Amber who made the call to Triple Zero (000) for help.
She had only decided to join the boys at the last minute.
“I should’ve said no,” she laughed.
Lessons learnt on dangers
The trio, who uploaded a 39-minute video of their adventure to social media, are no strangers to exploring the wild outdoors of Far North Queensland.
But they hope their experience is a lesson for others on the dangers of fast-moving water.
Reon said when he watched the live footage of Barron Falls just two hours after being rescued, he realised the area they had been camped on was completely submerged.
The teenagers say they were stuck on the large rock in the centre of this picture as the water levels rose. (Supplied: Reon Namba)
“That’s when we realised the least we could do is try and make sure [the rescuers] know we’re thankful,” he said.
Amber paid tribute to the bravery of the pilot, who rescued them one by one in the dark.
“My dad gave me a bit of a mouthful for the next two weeks, and he still does every now and then,” she said.
“My mum was just thankful I thought to call Triple Zero and not her because she couldn’t do anything.”
Rescue pilot Ben Lawler said the crew used night-vision goggles during the hour-long effort and had to contend with wind and mist from the falls.
He said the teenagers did well to call Triple Zero and take a light with them to alert the rescue crew to their location.
Air crew officer Liam Carruthers, who operated the winch, said despite being well-prepared, the young adventurers “got very lucky”.
“Considering the rate of the rising water, considering we’re a single asset covering a large footprint, if there was any reason we couldn’t get there, it could’ve been a different outcome,”
he said.
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load