
The 18-year-old went missing after entering the water shortly before a Surf Lifesaving training session.
A surf lifesaver who lost his life in the water off the Sunshine Coast has been remembered as a “child of the ocean”.
Joe Tolano, 18, got into trouble after coming off his surfboard while out in the water with mates at Buddina Beach on Wednesday afternoon.
After failing to return to shore a multi-day search commenced however Tolano’s body was found on Friday evening.
Following the tragic discovery his family released a statement saying they were comforted by the fact the teenager died doing what he loved alongside his friends.
“Joe was a child of the ocean and he absolutely loved nippers. His body was small but his heart huge,” parents Glenn and Clare as well as sister Abbie said.

“He was chasing his dream of being an Ironman. We have lost him doing what he loved surrounded by some of his best mates, and that fact helps us carry this unimaginable pain.
“We feel grateful for the love and support that has been wrapped around us by our friends, family and the surf clubs in which Joe grew up.
“We are sincerely appreciative of the efforts of Surf Life Saving Queensland (SLSQ), emergency services and volunteers who have made it possible to have him back with us.”
In a post on Instagram his sister Abbie remembered her brother as her “biggest supporter and inspiration”.
“The worst things happen to the best people. Just a kid who frothed Clubbies and worked his ass off at it. Doing what he loved catching waves with his best friends,” she wrote.
“You had a huge heart Joey and it has showed in all the people showing up for you mate.
“I’ll see you again soon JT rest easy and hope there are endless barrels up there for you.”
Tolano, a much-loved member of the Met Caloundra Surf Life Saving Club, was due to take part in a club training session that same afternoon.
Club President Brett Magnussen said Tolano had joined only last year after many years at Sunshine Beach Surf Life Saving Club but quickly became an integral member.
“He was a passionate young lifesaver, who loved patrolling the beach and keeping people safe,” Magnussen said.
“He brought great energy to training and competition, and he was incredibly well regarded not just within our club, but across the Sunshine Coast surf lifesaving community.
“This is an incredibly difficult time for our members, particularly the young people who trained and competed alongside Joe. Our entire club is heartbroken, and our thoughts are firmly with Joe’s family and friends.”
There were extensive searches for Tolano over three days involving PolAir, a helicopter, jet skis, inflatable dinghies and Coastguard vessels.
Police said a report would be prepared for the coroner.
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load