Kyle Sandilands has spoken for the first time since his suspension from breakfast radio, as experts weigh in on possible legal battles in the wake of his on-air blow-up with co-host Jackie O.

Kyle Sandilands has spoken for the first time after his catastrophic radio break up – but gave no more than a “no comment” when asked by reporters.
9 News cameras spotted Sandilands outside his multimillion dollar Vaucluse home, in Sydney’s east, since he was suspended from his high-paying radio gig worth $10m a year.
Sandilands was asked if he and co-host Jackie O Henderson could fix their $200m debacle after she took leave when he belittled her on-air over a new interest in astrology.
The controversial radio host was suspended over alleged serious misconduct and given 14 days to fix the situation when Henderson said she could no longer work with him.
Kyle Sandilands was spotted outside his Vaucluse home in Sydney’s east, as he left in a black Mercedes. Picture: 9News
“Do you think you and Jackie can fix this at all?” Sandilands was asked.
“Have you been able to speak to Jackie? Are you confident you can rectify the situation?
“Kyle, is this curtains?”
“I can’t really speak mate, sorry,” Sandilands replied as he waved to the cameras.
Kyle Sandilands told reporters he could not really speak when he was approached outside his Vaucluse home. Picture: 9News
The drama throws up a host of potential legal stoushes, given the implosion of the breakfast radio pair’s 10-year $200m contract.
Australian media law expert Michael Bradley says given the money at stake and the difficult questions over the show’s track record of arguably indecent content, any contractual fallout could easily end up being fought with lawsuits.
Mr Bradley told NewsWire Kyle Sandilands’ 14-day suspension, by network owner ARN, calls into question the station’s decency track record.
“One of the reasons I would expect this is going to go litigious is because, what are the standards of behaviour that the station could reasonably enforce against him, given what they’ve tolerated from him over the years.
“Other than murdering his co-host on air, what could he possibly do that they would then go and say ‘well that’s too far’; which seems to be what they’re saying in relation to this particular incident,” Mr Bradley said.
Shock jock Kyle Sandilands’ long history of controversial antics could become part of his own legal argument should he be found in breach of contract, Australian media law expert Michael Bradley said. Picture: Supplied
ASX-listed ARN Media is obliged to post price-sensitive business announcements to the share market, as it did on Tuesday in announcing Jackie Henderson “cannot continue to work with Mr Kyle Sandilands,” and that Sandilands had been suspended for 14 days.
On Thursday, a spokesman for ARN told NewsWire no updates were available on the contractual fallout.
Only broadcasters John Laws and Alan Bond ever signed contracts similar to Kyle and Jackie O, Mr Bradley said, adding the duo’s form raised immediate questions given the investment.
“At the time they were signed up it was controversial, or at least remarked upon a lot, because it seemed a big commercial risk. It would be a big commercial risk on any talent, let alone talent that volatile,” he said.
Henderson and Sandilands’ $200m contract is for 10 years to 2034. They began working in radio together in 1999.
Kyle Sandilands made his co-host of decades, Jackie ‘O’ Henderson, cry on air last month. Picture: Instagram
Individual contracts, on-air decency and workplace relations facets surround the situation, Mr Bradley said.
“There will be other angles that come out of this, legal angles, which will very much depend on what the contractual arrangements actually are.
“I would expect it’s going to be lawyers at 10-paces pretty quickly.”
Last month, an on-air exchange between the pair led to Henderson crying, saying she felt attacked, and Sandilands repeatedly claiming he and other colleagues believed Henderson was distracted and not doing her job.
Since the February 20 broadcast, Henderson has been absent, and on Tuesday ARN Media announced Sandilands was suspended for 14 days for “an act of serious misconduct” in breach of contract.
“If it (the breach) is not remedied, ARN will terminate the services agreement with Quasar Media, and in that event Mr Sandilands will cease to present the Kyle and Jackie O show.
“ARN has also offered to Ms Henderson the possibility of an alternative show on the ARN network,” the company said.
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load