A BRIT couple stranded in the Maldives by the Iran war say they’re facing a staggering £12,000 hotel bill after being forced to extend their stay in paradise for nearly two weeks.
Holidaymaker Andrea Pendrey and her partner flew out for a relaxing break before she began breast cancer treatment back in the UK.

Andrea and her partner flew to the luxury holiday location before Andrea was set to start breast cancer treatmentCredit: Facebook/@jessicapendrey

She now says they will have to pay an extra £12,000 by the time she can go homeCredit: Facebook/@jessicapendrey
But their dream trip turned into a nightmare when missile strikes across the Middle East shut down airspace, grounding flights and leaving them stuck thousands of miles from home.
Andrea was due to start treatment last Thursday, but she is now desperately trying to get back to Britain as the costs pile up.
She told the BBC: “Even though this place is paradise, we’ve been crying and feel really upset.”
The pair arrived at the airport expecting to fly home on March 1, only to discover their flight had been cancelled hours after the war erupted.
“Emirates just told us we need to find a room, at our own cost and the airport was filling up with more and more people,” Andrea said.
They eventually found a room at a resort, but the price tag is eye-watering.
“We reckon we’ll have forked out an extra £12,000 by the time we leave,” she said.
The couple have had to stick the costs on a credit card, with Andrea admitting: “The money is stressing me out.”
Her partner had already lost his job before the holiday, piling even more pressure on their finances.
Andrea added she is trying not to dwell on the delay to her cancer treatment.
“I’m trying not to think about it too much. I need to get home for my chemo. It’s not helping being here.”
Most travel insurance policies do not cover disruption caused by war, meaning many stranded holidaymakers must pay the bills themselves.
It comes as…
All six US aircrew dead in plane crash
Iran attacking Dubai again sparking flaming skyscrapers
Brits in Special Forces base attacked by Iranian drone swarm
Iran has triggered world’s biggest oil crisis using £7.5k drone boats
Brit troops firing so many missiles more rockets have had to be flown in
Israel hits out at sluggish Starmer for slow response to war
Andrea’s insurer has since classified the situation as a medical emergency, and the couple now hope to fly home via Frankfurt on Monday.
They are far from alone.

She said she had been desperately trying to get back to the UK as the costs pile upCredit: Facebook/@jessicapendrey

Andrea and her partner were forced to stay in the Maldives for an extra two weeksCredit: Not known, clear with picture desk

Holiday makers Lauren Higgins and Adam Wilson were also stuck in the MaldivesCredit: Alamy
More than 140,000 Britons registered their presence in the Middle East with the UK government after the US and Israel launched a major attack on Iran.
Other British travellers say they too have been left stranded, stressed and out of pocket as flights across the region are cancelled.
Lauren Higgins and Adam Wilson were also stuck in the Maldives when their return flight via Bahrain was scrapped.
The couple had booked a “once in a lifetime luxury holiday”, but are now staying in a £500-a-night Holiday Inn, the Daily Star reports.
They have already spent £2,500 and fear they could be trapped for three weeks.
Meanwhile, Sarah Short, 54, and her husband Ed, 58, were forced to take a desperate eight-hour taxi ride across the desert from Dubai to Muscat after their flight home was cancelled.
The pair shelled out £1,500 for the 300-mile journey.
“It was absolute chaos, ” Mrs Short said of the airport.
“There were people who were absolutely in floods of tears, sobbing, shaking.”
In Thailand, Laura and Paul Webster say they’ve been told there are no flights home for two weeks after their connections via Dubai kept getting cancelled.
“We’ve got work, we’ve got kids. We want to get back ASAP,” Mrs Webster said.
“It’s just horrible. It’s literally a holiday from hell.”

Thousands of travellers were left stranded when conflict erupted in the Middle EastCredit: AP
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load