A 47-year-old man was rescued from the Atlantic Ocean east of Puerto Rico on Wednesday, Jan.21
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(741x347:743x349):format(webp)/row-race-rescue-012326-3-e3ee125170a742869446653a94f3b1d2.jpg)
The capsized vessel in the Atlantic Ocean on Jan. 21, 2026.Credit : United States Coast Guard (2)
A solo rower was rescued from the Atlantic Ocean east of Puerto Rico after his boat capsized during a race.
On Wednesday, Jan. 21, a Belgian citizen was brought to safety by the Coast Guard Sector San Juan Command Center Watchstanders and the crew of the Horten Liberian-flagged tanker ship, the U.S. Coast Guard announced in a press release.
Benoit Bourguet was participating in the World’s Toughest Row Race event when his vessel, City of Liverpool, was reportedly hit twice by “two rogue waves and capsized in 13 to 15-foot seas.”
Bourguet, 47, was forced to deploy and board his life raft amid the race, which spans across 3,000 miles, from San Sebastian de la Gomera in Spain to Nelson’s Dockyard in Antigua.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(706x488:708x490):format(webp)/row-race-rescue-012326-2-e971e29e0484413ebfb47f77dbe1aba4.jpg)
Officials rescuing the Benoit Bourguet in the Atlantic Ocean on Jan. 21, 2026.United States Coast Guard
No other vessels in the race have been reported to be in distress, the U.S. Coast Guard confirmed.
Officials said, “Coast Guard Sector San Juan Command Center watchstanders received an unregistered 406 MHz Emergency Positioning Indicating Radio Beacon EPIRB signal from the City of Liverpool rowboat at approximately 2 a.m. Wednesday, alerting of a possible distress approximately 1,100 nautical miles east of Puerto Rico.”
”Afterwards, Watchstanders received a second 406 MHz emergency distress signal from a personal locating beacon device from the same area,” they continued, per the press release. “Watchstanders were able to contact World’s Toughest Row Race Safety Coordinator, who confirmed they had not been able to contact Bourguet after numerous messages had gone unanswered.”
An Automated Mutual-Assistance Vessel Rescue (AMVER) callout was then issued by Watchstanders so that the “1,092-foot Horten tanker and Enhanced Group Calling (EGC)” could “notify other vessels in the vicinity to be on the lookout for distress.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(667x406:669x408):format(webp)/row-race-rescue-012326-1-4d8faf2180634deaa88222295eefdede.jpg)
The capsized boat in the Atlantic Ocean on Jan. 21, 2026.United States Coast Guard
The rowing vessel Old Sea Dogs, which was a participant in the race, also carried out VHF radio calls to Bourguet but had no response.
However, after the Horten tanker received the AMVER alert, the vessel was able to divert “for over 12 hours transiting approximately 110 miles to the distress signal’s position.”
The tanker had been “transiting on a voyage from Germany of Offshore Guyan.”
According to the U.S. Coast Guard, crews from the Horten tanker ship received regular updates from Watchstanders throughout the operation.
After the Horten tanker ship got closer, they were able to see a survivor on a life raft. They then used a life ring to rescue the individual, who was confirmed to be the rower.
Despite being dehydrated, Bourguet was in overall good condition.
He claimed he had been in distress for around 24 hours and had his capsized vessel connected to the life raft he was on.
“We are very proud of the seamless coordination between our Sector San Juan Command Center Watchstanders and the courageous crew and captain of the motor tanker Horten, which resulted in the successful rescue of a mariner,” said Lt. Kenneth Snyder, Coast Guard Sector San Juan mission coordinator for the case, per the press release. “The Horten’s participation in the AMVER program was critical and the crew’s selflessness and swift response embody the spirit of this voluntary program, where mariners stand ready to help one another.”
The Horten tanker ship and race coordinators will be coordinating Bourguet’s transfer from the ship at a later time.
News
A rare insight is shedding light on royal life. A close friend of Princess Kate has revealed how she’s coping amid what’s being described as “unprecedented turbulence” within the royal family
Princess Kate’s close friend reveals how she’s dealing with ‘unprecedented turbulence’ in royal family The Princess of Wales made a return to official visits abroad with her trip to Reggio Emilia in Italy last week – and it has a…
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
“Vanished Without a Trace” – CCTV Footage of Devon Teen Sparks Chilling New Theory After 12 Days of Silence
Large-scale search continues to find missing teen Taylor Charlton was last seen on CCTV on 8 May in Barnstaple Detectives say a large-scale police investigation is continuing as part of efforts to find a missing Devon teenager. Devon and Cornwall…
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
End of content
No more pages to load