Border Patrol agents in deadly shooting of nurse Alex Pretti named as Department of Justice launches probe

FEDERAL agents who opened fire on Alex Pretti have been named as the Department of Justice opens a civil rights investigation into the fatal shooting in Minneapolis.
Border Patrol Agent Jesus Ochoa, 43, and Customs and Border Protection Officer Raymundo Gutierrez, 35, fired a total of 10 shots at Pretti, 37, during a confrontation on January 24, ProPublica reported.

The Federal agents who opened fire on Alex Pretti have been identifiedCredit: Reuters

The fatal shooting of the ICU nurse happened on January 24 during an immigration operation in MinneapolisCredit: Department of Veterans Affairs

Footage shows shots fired after Pretti allegedly approached officersCredit: supplied
The shooting happened at the intersection of 26th Street and Nicollet Avenue during an immigration enforcement operation.
The Department of Justice confirmed on Friday that it has opened an investigation into the killing, marking a sharp shift from the administration’s earlier stance that the case would remain under an internal Department of Homeland Security review.
Ochoa and Gutierrez were assigned to Minneapolis as part of Operation Metro Surge, the administration’s effort to crack down on illegal migrants in the city.
Customs and Border Protection has so far refused to officially verify the identities of the agents involved.
Ochoa, who reportedly goes by Jesse, joined CBP in 2018.
Gutierrez has been with Border Patrol since 2014.
According to a new government report, the shooting unfolded around 9am when agents were confronted by protesters who were “yelling and blowing whistles” and blocking the roadway.
After “several verbal requests” to clear the area, CBP said two women refused orders to leave the street and were pushed away.
One ran toward Pretti, and both again refused to move.
An officer deployed pepper spray and attempted to arrest Pretti.

Footage captured Pretti speaking to federal officers moments before being shotCredit: supplied

The Department of Justice has since opened a civil rights investigation into the incidentCredit: Reuters
“CBP personnel attempted to take Pretti into custody. Pretti resisted CBP personnel’s efforts and a struggle ensued,” the report states.
During the struggle, a Border Patrol agent yelled, “He’s got a gun!” multiple times.
About five seconds later, one agent fired a CBP-issued Glock 19 and the other fired a Glock 47.
Pretti was struck by all 10 rounds.
The report alleges that when an officer shouted “gun,” there was no evidence Pretti had taken it off his hip.
Footage circulating on social media appears to show an agent had disarmed Pretti moments before he was shot several times in the back.
An agent secured Pretti’s gun shortly after the shooting.
CBP attempted lifesaving measures, applying chest seals at 9.02am, and EMS arrived three minutes later.
Pretti was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center at 9.14am but was pronounced dead at 9.32am.
CBP previously said the two agents were placed on administrative leave and given mental health support as standard procedure.
Sources say they were barred from field duty and reassigned to desk roles upon returning.

News
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
Tributes are pouring in for Dr Nikhil Autar, a pioneering young doctor and former NSW Young Australian of the Year, who has d!3d at just 32
Tributes flow for pioneering doctor, former NSW Young Australian of the Year Dr Nikhil Autar following death at age 32 A “beloved” young doctor and former NSW Australian of the Year who overcame teenage leukaemia has died aged 32. A…
TRAGIC CRASH VERDICT — Man sentenced over f4tal collision that k!ll3d Ian Welldon in Toowoomba
Man sentenced for killing Ian Welldon in Toowoomba truck and motorcycle crash Ian Welldon was described by his family as funny, kind and hard-working. (Supplied: Welldon family) Allan John Eveleigh has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail after pleading guilty…
End of content
No more pages to load