
A JUDGE has handed down a decision after mourning parents sued to shutter Camp Mystic – the Texas Christian camp where 25 girls tragically died in a flood on July 4.
Young girls and camp staff were among the dozens of people who lost their lives in the flash flood that saw the Guadalupe River outside San Antonio swell to disastrous levels.
Camp Mystic is embroiled in a legal battle with parents over whether it should open this summerCredit: Reuters

Twenty-five girls and two counselors died in a devastating flood at the Christian summer camp outside San Antonio, TexasCredit: AFP

Among the victims are (Top row left to right) Mary Grace Baker, Cile Steward, Virginia Hollis, Greta Toranzo, and (Bottom row left to right) Linnie McCown, Kellyanne Lytal, Margaret Sheedy, and Lainey LandryCredit: Supplied

Camp Mystic Director Mary Liz Eastland was comforted during a hearing on WednesdayCredit: AP
The parents of Cile Steward, an eight-year-old who was swept away by the waters and whose body hasn’t been found, filed to close the camp for the foreseeable future.
But on Wednesday, a judge in Austin determined the camp should just preserve damaged cabins, and stopped short of forcing a closure, the Associated Press reported.
The parents feared construction or clean up of the camp could destroy evidence as their lawsuit is still pending.
Meanwhile, District Judge Maya Guerra Gamble said owners needed to leave the cabins closest to the river alone and avoid that part of the camp entirely.
Will Steward, Cile’s father, told reporters at the hearing, “What we’re trying to do is preserve the evidence that’s there so that we can understand, so that future campers will never be put in a situation like this again.”
One hundred thirty people died in the devastating floods which struck in the middle of the night when most residents were asleep.
At Camp Mystic, the waters rose from 14 feet to 29.5 feet within 60 minutes.
By the time they situation had become critical, many were left utterly trapped with first responders also barred from travel by rushing waters.
The abrupt and deadly disaster has raised urgent questions about the community’s preparedness – and whether Camp Mystic
Mikal Watts, an attorney representing Camp Mystic, explained why the campers weren’t evacuated in the court hearing on Wednesday.
“The worst thing you can do is put a bunch of 8-year-olds on a bus and try to drive them out of there,” he said.
“They all would have drowned.”
While the lawyers made their arguments, distraught family members of the victims packed the gallery and wore buttons with their pictures.
Camp Mystic counsel showed trees planted on the property in the girls’ honor and made their case as to why the camp should reopen.
They said 850 girls have already signed up for this summer, but stressed state regulators would still need to approve a license to operate.
Meanwhile Will and his wife Cici Steward have accused leaders of failing to right their wrongs and come up with a more robust safety plan.
“They didn’t have a plan, and they don’t have a plan moving forward,” Cici told the court.
Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick previously asked the court to stop Camp Mystic from opening as they investigate the deaths.

News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load