Triple killer Regina Arthurell, 79, was found to be living with children. (Supplied)
A NSW government department had known since December that two foster children were living under the same roof as a triple killer in Western Sydney, but did not address the situation until this week.
Minister for Families and Communities Kate Washington made the admission on radio station 2GB, saying the mistake was the worst she had ever seen during her time in the portfolio.
Ms Washington said it was “entirely unacceptable”.
“It should never have happened, and I’m deeply apologetic for what has happened,” she told host Ben Fordham.
A listener earlier alerted the radio station that a 12-and 14-year-old had been living in the same home as 79-year-old Regina Arthurell.
The triple killer was previously known as Reginald Arthurell.
In 1995, Arthurell murdered a former partner by beating her in the back of the head with a piece of wood.
Arthurell had already been convicted of manslaughter on two previous occasions.
While Ms Washington only became aware of the matter in recent days, she said her department had known for months.
“The department was made aware of the situation in late December, and some very poor decisions were made at that time,” she said.
“I wish I could turn back the clock, but I can’t,”
she said.
Kate Washington says she personally only became aware of the matter in recent days. (ABC News: Timothy Ailwood)
Investigation launched
Ms Washington said the Department of Communities and Justice had launched a review.
“This review is going to go through the whole timeline,” she said.
“Who knew what, when? And who made what decisions, when?
“Because obviously it is very clear that very poor decisions were made through this process.”
The minister said Arthurell was no longer living with the children.
Asked whether she had ever seen a mistake this big in her portfolio, Ms Washington replied: “No, I haven’t. I could not have been more shocked and horrified.”
Supervision order not extended
In 2021, after Arthurell’s parole expired, an extended supervision order was imposed, including conditions such as electronic monitoring and alcohol rehabilitation.
At the time, Justice Richard Button noted Arthurell was not in good health and had made a “sincere effort” at rehabilitation.
However, he said Arthurell had “unequivocally demonstrated a proclivity to violently terminate the lives of fellow human beings”.
“A frail, even physically disabled, person can inflict fatal harm once armed with a weapon,” he noted.
Michael Daley was asked during a budget estimates hearing why Arthurell’s supervision order was not extended. (AAP: Bianca de Marchi)
In a budget estimates hearing on Wednesday, Attorney-General Michael Daley was asked why Arthurell’s supervision order was not extended when it expired in 2024.
“If Arthurell does not meet the threshold for you to apply for an [extended supervision order], who does?” Shadow Attorney-General Damien Tudehope asked.
While Mr Daley took on notice some questions regarding Arthurell’s case, he said a High Risk Offenders Assessment Committee provided advice to the government on extended supervision orders.
“There are months and months of medical and psychiatric and other assessments made by the experts that underpin that panel,” Mr Daley said.
“And attorneys-general act on advice in relation to those matters.”
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load