A coroner has revealed the final haunting message sent by university students who died together on an alpine trail.

The final message of two women who froze to death while hiking on a remote trail near Victoria’s tallest mountain has been revealed.
Chinese citizens Yuhan Jin, 24, and Yewen Wang, 30, were discovered on October 3 last year along Long Spur Walking Track at Lendenfeld Point, about halfway between the summit of Mount Bogong and Cleve Cole Hut.
Both Monash University students, the pair took part on a three to four day hike in the remote Victorian Alps, about five hours northwest of Melbourne.
There is no evidence to suggest the women were experienced hikers.
Air wing footage of Mount Bogong in Victoria’s high country. Picture: Supplied / Victoria Police
Following an investigation, Coroner David Ryan handed down his findings into the women’s deaths, noting Ms Jin had texted her mother in China before they began their hike about 8.34am on October 2.
In her message she included a map of her and Ms Wang’s intended route, and later she sent several photos and videos as they ascended the snow covered walking track.
That evening about 6pm, Ms Jin sent a voice note to her mother detailing the gruelling conditions on the path.
“It was so tough, honestly, just really, really tough. Oh my god, I’m exhausted,” she said.
“I was carrying a 15 kilogram pack, and today’s goal was to climb 1,300 metres of elevation gain in a single day.
“Those videos I sent you earlier were actually from around noon. There was no signal at the time, so they only went through now.
“At the foot of the mountain, I could still wear just two light layers, but as I climbed higher, I had to put on my fleece, and then even my hard shell.
“Oh my god, what a day! It’s only been six hours of hiking! First it rained, then it snowed, then it hailed.”
This was the last communication from either woman.
The pair was found deceased by a married couple the next day about 10.55am, following a night of blizzard-like conditions.
Mount Bonong was battered by high wind, heavy snowfall, rain and hail between October 1 to 3 last year, with temperatures as low as -3.2C.
Recovery operation of two women hikers found dead in the Bogong High plains. Picture: 7News
Police hiked to the scene, where they discovered the women huddled together, partially lying atop a sleeping bag, the contents of their backpacks strewn around them.
Despite being in possession of suitable clothing for the conditions, the pair were discovered not wearing their outer shell jackets or beanies.
The pair was not equipped with a tent.
Mr Ryan listed the cause of death as hypothermia, noting the effects had likely hampered the women’s decision making.
“It is likely that they have become disorientated, confused and fatigued in the evening on 2 October due to the effects of hypothermia which impacted their judgment and resulted in them passing away from exposure to the elements,” Mr Ryan said.
“Having considered all of the circumstances, I am satisfied that Yuhan and Yewen died after being exposed to the elements in very poor weather conditions while hiking in the Victorian High Country.
“Their families can take some comfort from the fact that they were together when they passed away.”
It is not known where the women had planned to stay that evening, but it was likely at Cleve Cole Hut.
Neither death was considered suspicious by police.
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load