A 12-year-old boy attacked by a shark in Sydney Harbour remains alive in hospital but is brain-dead and will never wake up.
Nico Antic was jumping into the water from a six-metre rock ledge at Nielsen Park, in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, at about 4.20pm on Sunday when he was mauled by a suspected bull shark.
Both his legs were severely injured in the attack, and he survived only because one of his five friends jumped in and dragged him onto the rocks while the predator swam nearby.
Despite reports on Wednesday claiming Nico died, a close family member has now confirmed to the Daily Mail that he still alive in hospital.
Police have also confirmed Nico’s condition at Sydney Children’s Hospital remains unchanged.
‘He is still asleep, but will not be able to make it because his brain is completely unresponsive,’ the relative said.
They said Nico was a talented sports player who was always making people smile.
‘He is a sporty kid and never fails to put a smile on people’s faces,’ they recalled.

Nico Antic (pictured) was a talented soccer player who represented his club in international tournaments

+5
View gallery
Nico Antic (pictured with his dad) is alive in hospital, but he will never wake up again

+5
View gallery
Pictured: Emergency workers in Vaucluse on Sunday, when Nico was bitten by a shark
‘He is loved by many friends and family.’
Family friend Victor Pineiro set up a fundraiser on Tuesday to help the family cover expenses.
‘Nico was attacked by a shark on Sunday in Sydney Harbour and sustained life-threatening injuries,’ he said, describing it as the ‘worst possible outcome’.
Friends on social media said Nico’s extended family live overseas and will have to travel to Australia to say their goodbyes.
Goal Soccer Academy in Rose Bay wrote on social media that Nico had been playing with them for seven years.
‘Nico has been part of the Goal family for seven years, a talented and dedicated sportsman,’ the soccer club said.
The academy also said Nico represented the club in tournaments, including the Sydney International Cup.
Another family friend, Trish, shared a link to the fundraiser on Facebook with the caption: ‘My heart hurts.’

+5
View gallery
Nico Antic is a talented athlete who has represented his soccer club internationally

+5
View gallery
Nico Antic (pictured on his first day of school) is in a critical condition in hospital
A third family friend said: ‘Please donate. This is a family I know and they are going through an unimaginably hard time.’
Nico was the first victim of four shark attacks on NSW coastlines within the last three days.
On Monday, an 11-year-old boy had an encounter with another shark, which took a large bite out of his surfboard in Dee Why, near Manly in Sydney’s northern suburbs.
That same evening, Andre de Ruyter, 27, was attacked by a bull shark while surfing in Manly, in Sydney’s northern suburbs.
He was rushed to hospital with critical leg injuries.
On Tuesday, a 39‑year‑old was attacked at Point Plomer on the NSW Mid North Coast.
The shark bit through the man’s wetsuit and took a chunk out of his board. He reportedly drove himself to Kempsey District Hospital.
News
A rare insight is shedding light on royal life. A close friend of Princess Kate has revealed how she’s coping amid what’s being described as “unprecedented turbulence” within the royal family
Princess Kate’s close friend reveals how she’s dealing with ‘unprecedented turbulence’ in royal family The Princess of Wales made a return to official visits abroad with her trip to Reggio Emilia in Italy last week – and it has a…
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
“Vanished Without a Trace” – CCTV Footage of Devon Teen Sparks Chilling New Theory After 12 Days of Silence
Large-scale search continues to find missing teen Taylor Charlton was last seen on CCTV on 8 May in Barnstaple Detectives say a large-scale police investigation is continuing as part of efforts to find a missing Devon teenager. Devon and Cornwall…
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
End of content
No more pages to load