One of the brave friends of a young boy who was attacked by a shark in Sydney has spoken of the moment he leapt into danger to save his mate.
A friend of shark attack victim Nico Antic has recounted the moment he jumped into the water to try and save his mate – braving danger as the same shark lurked nearby.
Nico, 12, remains in hospital after he was bitten by a suspected bull shark while rock jumping with his friends at Hermitage Foreshore Walk near Shark Beach, in Vaucluse, last Sunday afternoon.
Water Police rendered first aid on the child, who was then raced to Rose Bay via boat, before being taken to the Children’s Hospital in Randwick.
The horrifying incident was one of four shark attacks that rocked NSW over the week – with another shark biting a chunk out of an 11-year-old surfer’s board at Dee Why Point the following day.
Surfer Andre de Ruyter, 27, was attacked the same day at Manly Beach at 6pm.
A friend of Nico Antic – who was attacked by a shark in Vaucluse last Sunday – has revealed the moment he leapt into danger to save his mate. Picture: GoFundMe
The friend said: ‘He (Nico – pictured) kept fighting and breathing in my arms and he never gave up for a second. Picture: Supplied
On Tuesday, Paul Zvirzdinas, 39, was knocked off his board by a suspected shark at Point Plomer, near Port Macquarie.
One of Nico’s friends has since broken his silence about the horror day and how he acted quickly to jump in the water and help drag the 12-year-old to shore.
“He kept fighting and breathing in my arms and he never gave up for a second,” the friend told 7News.
“He’s the most stubborn person I know.”
NSW Police Superintendent Joseph McNulty had earlier commended the “brave” actions of Nico’s friends under the difficult circumstances.
“(They were) very confronting injuries for those boys to see, but I suppose that’s mateship,” he said.
In a GoFundMe set up to cover expenses for the Antic family, Victor Piñeiro said Nico had sustained “devastating injuries”.
“Despite all efforts, this heartbreaking event has led to the worst possible outcome,” Mr Piñeiro – a friend of the Antic family – said in the fundraiser’s description
“We are raising funds to help the Antic family cover upcoming expenses and related arrangements during this incredibly difficult time.
“Any contribution, no matter the size, would be deeply appreciated and will help ease the financial burden as they grieve.”
A GoFundMe set up for the Antic family has raised more than $224,000. Picture: Supplied
As of Friday evening, the GoFundMe has reached $224,644 of its $250,000 target.
Sydney’s Northern Beaches were closed earlier this week in response to the spate of shark attacks.
But on Thursday evening, Northern Beaches Council confirmed its beaches would begin to reopen on Friday ahead of the Australia Day long weekend.
Mayor Sue Heins said the council was closely monitoring water conditions.
Sydney’s Northern Beaches have reopened and council authorities will be closely monitoring the water conditions. Picture: NewsWire / Gaye Gerard
“As always the number one message to beachgoers is to swim between the flags, follow the directions of our incredible lifesavers and lifeguards and avoid swimming at dawn and dusk,” she said.
The Department of Primary Industries and Life Saving NSW have agreed to reopen the Northern Beaches, which include the return of patrolling council and Life Saving NSW lifeguards, ongoing jet ski patrols, increased aerial surveillance and extra drum lines.
Each beach will be assessed on an individual basis with lifeguards on site, the council said.
News
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
Tributes are pouring in for Dr Nikhil Autar, a pioneering young doctor and former NSW Young Australian of the Year, who has d!3d at just 32
Tributes flow for pioneering doctor, former NSW Young Australian of the Year Dr Nikhil Autar following death at age 32 A “beloved” young doctor and former NSW Australian of the Year who overcame teenage leukaemia has died aged 32. A…
TRAGIC CRASH VERDICT — Man sentenced over f4tal collision that k!ll3d Ian Welldon in Toowoomba
Man sentenced for killing Ian Welldon in Toowoomba truck and motorcycle crash Ian Welldon was described by his family as funny, kind and hard-working. (Supplied: Welldon family) Allan John Eveleigh has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail after pleading guilty…
End of content
No more pages to load