Hundreds of sandbags were prepared for residents and businesses looking to guard against possible flooding. (ABC News: Xavier Martin)
Heavy rain across central parts of the Northern Territory has forced dozens of road closures and prompted calls for residents to prepare for potential flash flooding.
A broad trough has extended over central parts of the NT, with widespread heavy rainfall in the Barkly region expected to move south over the coming days.
The flood watch area is large, covering parts of the eastern, central and western inland areas of the territory.
The bureau issued a severe weather warning on Sunday afternoon for heavy, locally intense rainfall and damaging winds for parts of the NT. (Supplied: Bureau of Meterology)
The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning for heavy, locally intense rainfall and damaging winds for the Simpson and parts of Barkly and Tanami districts.
The bureau also warned heavy rainfall could lead to flash flooding, with six-hourly rainfall totals between 60mm and 90mm likely.
The bureau said locally intense rainfall could lead to dangerous and life-threatening flash flooding overnight in the southern Barkly and northern Simpson districts.
Has Video Duration: 17 seconds.
Watch
Alice Springs floodwaters near Stuart Highway earlier this month. (Supplied/ABC News)
“This rainfall has resulted in river level rises and flooding across the Barkly and Georgina River catchments since Saturday, and rainfall and flooding is expected to continue during Sunday and into Monday and Tuesday,” the bureau said.
“River and creek level rises, and areas of flooding are also expected across the Central Desert and eastern parts of the Tanami Desert catchment from Sunday.
“In the MacDonnell Ranges, Finke River, Stephenson Creek and Simpson Desert catchments, flooding is possible from Monday onwards.”
NT Police Deputy Regional Controller James Gray Spence urged motorists to be cautious.
“Critically, in the next 24-48 hours as the system progresses to the south, we are anticipating further rainfall,” he said.
“That’s further soaked roads, further isolated heavy falls and river rises.
“Delay all non-essential travel, stay off the roads, stay home, stay safe.”
Emergency services said on Sunday more than 500 sandbags were filled and given to residents and businesses. (ABC News: Xavier Martin)
Alice Springs prepares for the worst
Following flash flooding that caused the Todd River to burst its banks in Alice Springs last week — surprising residents and prompting calls for better emergency warning systems — residents and businesses have been busy preparing in case of another event this weekend.
Buildings in Alice Springs were sandbagged on Sunday. (ABC News: Xavier Martin)
Northern Territory Emergency Services has provided sandbags for people to prepare their properties.
So far, emergency services say they have filled and provided more than 500 sandbags to residents and businesses.
Heavy rainfall is predicted on Sunday night and into Monday. (ABC News: Xavier Martin)
Alice Springs residents are preparing for the worst after flash flooding caused the Todd River to rise dramatically last week. (ABC News: Xavier Martin)
Outside a building on South Terrace that saw its car park inundated last week, bollards, sandbags and tarps have been put in place to mitigate any further damage.
Roads closed
Dozens of roads across the region have been closed due to flooding.
The Department of Logistics and Infrastructure has advised that the Stuart Highway is closed between Ali Curung and Tennant Creek due to flooding, with other sections of the highway between Alice Springs and Ali Curung with water over the road and access restricted to high-clearance four-wheel drives only.
Cars like this one were abandoned as the floodwaters swept across roads in flooding earlier this month. (ABC News, Xavier Martin)
“Recent widespread rainfall and flooding across the Barkly and Central Australia is significantly impacting the road network,” the department said.
“Essential travel only is recommended across both regions due to potentially hazardous conditions.
“Non-essential travel should be avoided. Floodwater, washouts, unstable road surfaces, and impassable creek crossings continue to pose significant risks.”
Motorists are encouraged to check the Road Report website for the latest road information.
Heavy flooding cut off the Plenty Highway earlier this month. (Supplied: Bradd Thexton)
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load