Police have linked a burnt-out stolen car to the kidnapping of 85-year-old Sydney man Chris Baghsarian, who was mistakenly targeted by criminals.\

Police searching for kidnapped grandfather Chris Baghsarian suspect a stolen Victorian car found burnt out in Sydney is linked to the 85-year-old’s disappearance.
Mr Baghsarian was kidnapped from his home in Sydney’s northern suburb of North Ryde in the early hours of February 13. Police believe the grandfather was mistakenly targeted, with the kidnappers grabbing someone they thought was connected to the illicit drug trade.
This week police revealed a “makeshift stronghold” in the city’s semirural north west has been linked to the kidnapping.
Early Sunday, police put out a call for information on a burnt out Toyota Corolla, stolen from Victoria, found in the western suburb of Westmead.
Police say a burnout Toyota Corolla found in Sydney’s Westmead, stolen from Victoria, is linked to Chris Baghsarian’s mistaken kidnapping. Picture: NSW Police
Chris Baghsarian was kidnapped on February 13. Picture: NSW Police
The car, along with another vehicle, was found destroyed three days after Mr Baghsarian was taken.
“The vehicles were partially destroyed; however, detectives were able to establish the targeted vehicle was a 2022 Toyota Corolla bearing Victorian registration ‘1UZ2BU’, reported stolen from a Victorian address on Friday, 13 January, 2026,” a police spokesperson said.
“As the intensive investigation continues to locate Mr Baghsarian and to identify and arrest those responsible for his kidnapping, police are appealing for further public assistance.
“Anyone who may have seen or heard anything, or has CCTV, dashcam and or mobile footage relating to the kidnapping, or witnessed any sort of suspicious activity in the Westmead area since last Friday is urged to contact detectives.”
CCTV captured the kidnapping. Picture: Supplied
Police have found evidence Mr Baghsarian was held at a derelict, ‘makeshift stronghold’ at Dural in outer Sydney. Picture: NewsWire / Max Mason-Hubers
Family of the intended target were sent a hostage video, which they forwarded to police after not recognising Mr Baghsarian.
Text messages seen by NewsWire this week, sent from the family of the intended target to the kidnappers, say: “Dumb dumb error, how did use (sic) get the wrong house”.
In another text: “My old man would have blown your head off”.
Then: “Good luck, one of your team will give you up”.
A video made by the kidnappers appeared to show the grandfather’s face covered and his hands tied with duct tape.
There are also images circulating of the man’s finger being cut off.
Police raided the “makeshift stronghold” at Dural on Thursday night, finding evidence “to suggest Mr Baghsarian was held there at some stage during the last seven days”, Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks said.
The property had been abandoned for years.
Mr Baghsarian’s family were “devastated”, Detective Marks told reporters on Friday, and the family had not received a ransom demand.
“This is not the world they live in, it’s taken them by shock,” he said.
“They’re anxious, they’re devastated, and they want some answers. That is what we are here for today – to try and get them more answers.
“We are making inroads into this investigation. We really want to find Mr Baghsarian for them.”
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load