The 12-year-old has died after being in a coma following the horrific shark attack

Nico’s family are left heartbroken after his death (Image: Supplied)
A family have expressed their “heartbreak” after their “full of life” son has died a week after being attacked by a shark. Nico Antic was mauled by a shark in Sydney on Sunday, January 18.
He was rushed to Sydney’s Children Hopsital after the horrific incident at Nielson Beach, known as Shark beach, and was in a coma. Almost a week after the tragedy his parents have Lorena and Juan have expressed their “heartbreak” as they shared the news of their son’s death.
The family said in a statement: “Nico was a happy, friendly, and sporty young boy with the most kind and generous spirit. He was always full of life and that’s how we’ll remember him.
“We would like to sincerely thank the first responders and the teams at Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick for everything they did to care for Nico. We would also like to thank everyone in the community for their support and kind messages.
“We ask you please respect our privacy during this exceptionally difficult time.”
Nico was mauled when with friends jumping off rocks into the water at the end of the beach. The incident was the first in a string of four shark attacks that have taken place across New South Wales in Australia.
Earlier in the week Nico’s sister, Sophie told the Daily Mail Nico is “still asleep, but will not be able to make it because his brain is completely unresponsive”.
Sophie added: “He is a sporty kid and never fails to put a smile on people’s faces. He is loved by many friends and family.”
Commenting on increased shark activity in Sydney, Surf Life Saving NSW chief executive Steve Pearce said to Australian national broadcaster the ABC: “Anytime after a big weather event there’s always going to be a lot of run-off and out flow of creeks into the ocean and river mouths. We really strongly advocate that nobody swim or surf near river mouths because it’s obviously an area where sharks congregate. If it’s dirty water I’d think twice about going in there.”
Peace added: “We have such poor water quality that’s conducive to bull shark activity … [so] just go to a local pool, because at this stage, we’re advising that the beaches are unsafe.”
News
A rare insight is shedding light on royal life. A close friend of Princess Kate has revealed how she’s coping amid what’s being described as “unprecedented turbulence” within the royal family
Princess Kate’s close friend reveals how she’s dealing with ‘unprecedented turbulence’ in royal family The Princess of Wales made a return to official visits abroad with her trip to Reggio Emilia in Italy last week – and it has a…
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
“Vanished Without a Trace” – CCTV Footage of Devon Teen Sparks Chilling New Theory After 12 Days of Silence
Large-scale search continues to find missing teen Taylor Charlton was last seen on CCTV on 8 May in Barnstaple Detectives say a large-scale police investigation is continuing as part of efforts to find a missing Devon teenager. Devon and Cornwall…
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
End of content
No more pages to load