The landslide struck Indonesia’s West Java province on Saturday, Jan. 24
Landslide in Pasirlangu village in Bandung, Indonesia, on Jan. 24.Credit : Timur Matahari / AFP via Getty
At least nine people are dead and over 80 others are missing after a landslide in Indonesia.
At around 2:30 a.m. local time on Saturday, Jan. 24, a landslide caused by heavy rain swept through Pasirlangu Village, Cisarua, in the West Bandung district of West Java province, Indonesia’s National Search and Rescue Agency (BASARNAS) said in a translated post on Facebook.
Ade Dian Permana, head of the Bandung SAR Office, said an advanced team was immediately deployed to search for victims.
As of 2 p.m. local time, it was confirmed that nine people are dead, 81 others are missing, while 23 people have been found safe, according to the Indonesian outlet Pos Kota.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(884x561:886x563):format(webp)/Indonesia-landslide-012426-02-045cc1eb97464a068dc966a64874c42c.jpg)
A landslide hit the village of Pasir Langu in the West Bandung region in Indonesia on Jan. 24.BASARNAS via AP
Around 34 homes were buried in the disaster, ABC News reported. Pasir Kuning is believed to be the worst area hit by the landslide.
“The number of missing persons is high; we will try to optimize our search and rescue efforts today,” SAR spokesperson Abdul Muhari told ABC News. Those who died and remain missing have not yet been identified.
“The victims’ status is currently being collected, and we are coordinating with various parties to obtain valid data based on resident reports and conditions on the ground,” BASARNAS said in their translated Facebook post.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(791x646:793x648):format(webp)/Indonesia-landslide-012426-01-341cb3e000464a48a15b7786fc35092c.jpg)
A woman caries a boy who survived a landslide at Pasirlangu village in Indonesia on Jan. 24.Timur Matahari / AFP via Getty
The disaster comes after Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) issued several national warnings of heavy rain and floods in recent days.
“In response to the disaster, the BNPB urges the public and local governments to maintain preparedness and vigilance,” the BNPB said in a statement.
The organization added that they will be “strengthening coordination” with local ministries, regional governments and police “to ensure that disaster management is carried out effectively, measurably, and sustainably.”
PEOPLE has reached out to Indonesia’s National Agency for Disaster Countermeasure and SAR for comment.
News
A rare insight is shedding light on royal life. A close friend of Princess Kate has revealed how she’s coping amid what’s being described as “unprecedented turbulence” within the royal family
Princess Kate’s close friend reveals how she’s dealing with ‘unprecedented turbulence’ in royal family The Princess of Wales made a return to official visits abroad with her trip to Reggio Emilia in Italy last week – and it has a…
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
“Vanished Without a Trace” – CCTV Footage of Devon Teen Sparks Chilling New Theory After 12 Days of Silence
Large-scale search continues to find missing teen Taylor Charlton was last seen on CCTV on 8 May in Barnstaple Detectives say a large-scale police investigation is continuing as part of efforts to find a missing Devon teenager. Devon and Cornwall…
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
End of content
No more pages to load