NSW’s top cop has unleashed as the huge manhunt continues for a man accused of shooting dead three people, including his ex-partner.
NSW’s top police officer has slammed the state’s domestic violence statistics as a “disgrace”, as a man accused of shooting dead three people – including his ex-partner – remains on the run.
Julian Ingram, 37, has been on the run since January 22 when he allegedly killed three people in the central west town of Lake Cargelligo.
His ex-partner Sophie Quinn, 25, and John Harris, 32, were found inside a vehicle with gunshot wounds and both died at the scene.
Sophie Quinn, 25, was fatally shot inside her car. Picture: Supplied
John Harris, 32, was also killed. Picture: Facebook
Police were called to a nearby street a short time later where they found Ms Quinn’s aunt Nerida, who had also been fatally shot.
Kaleb Macqueen, 19, was also shot in the incident and taken to hospital in a serious but stable condition.
A large-scale police operation has been unfolding in the area since the fatal shootings, but Mr Ingram remains at large.
Speaking to reporters in Lake Cargelligo on Thursday, NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon said it was a “terrible tragedy that should not occur”.
“Domestic and family violence remains a scourge on our community – NSW Police attend over 160,000 calls for service for domestic and family violence each year,” he said.
“In the last year, we charged over 33,000 individuals with domestic and family violence assaults, which is a disgrace.
“Since I have been the commissioner, I made it really clear that domestic and family violence will be one of my key priorities because of the impact it has on community, and we have seen such a horrific impact here in Lake Cargelligo.”
Nerida Quinn. Picture: Supplied
Kaleb Macqueen. Picture: 9News
Mr Lanyon added that police were working with local property owners and Aboriginal liaison officers to gather information.
“Information from there that he might have been at those locations is very, very valuable to us,” he said.
“This is the fifth day of over 40-degree temperatures. Yet our police have been unwavering. I’m incredibly proud of the work they’re doing and their commitment to this community.”
Mr Lanyon said the community would continue to see a “significant policing presence” until the suspect is brought before the court.
Mr Ingram, also known as Pierpoint, is wanted on an outstanding warrant for murder.
Police describe him as of Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander appearance, about 165cm to 170cm tall, with medium build, short dark hair and brown eyes.
Julian Ingram, also known as Pierpoint, is wanted on an outstanding murder warrant. Picture: NSW Police
He was last seen driving a Ford Ranger utility with NSW registration DM-07-GZ, featuring council signage, high-visibility markings, and an emergency light bar.
Specialist police and Defence Force personnel have been deployed to assist with the search. Tactical Operations Unit officers, negotiators, and homicide investigators have joined local officers in Lake Cargelligo and surrounding districts, with Strike Force Doberta leading the investigation.
Assistant Commissioner Andrew Holland confirmed that officers believed Mr Ingram was still alive, citing his local knowledge of water sources and hiding places such as caves in the area.
“We have to systematically work through these locations to make sure that we have dotted our I’s and crossed our T’s at every location before we can move to the next location,” he said.
NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon described the shootings as a ‘terrible tragedy. Picture: NewsWire/ Klae McGuinness
Mr Holland said police were actively following public leads, including one report of Mr Ingram in the Mount Hope area. He said electronic tracking methods were being used to narrow down search areas.
“We are confident that he is in the area. The information is forthcoming from locals and is being passed through our investigators,” Mr Holland said.
“We are using electronic methods now to track certain locations and will obviously benefit from any information the public is able to provide.”
Police believe Mr Ingram is using his knowledge of the local terrain, including water sources and natural hiding spots, to evade capture.
Officers are systematically searching properties and remote locations, many the size of Sydney’s metropolitan area.
Authorities are also investigating whether Mr Ingram may be receiving assistance from others in the community.
Mr Holland cautioned residents not to approach him and said all leads were being thoroughly examined.
The operation involves more than 100 officers, with additional members from the public order and riot squad assisting.
Specialist police have been deployed to assist with the manhunt. Picture: NewsWire/ Klae McGuinness
“All members of the community should exercise extreme caution. They need to be aware that there is a gunman on the loose in their area,” Mr Lanyon said.
Mr Lanyon confirmed the suspect was on bail for previous domestic violence offences at the time of the shootings and said police would work with the NSW government on considerations around bail decisions for such offenders.
He also clarified an administrative oversight regarding the public assembly restriction declaration in the area that has now been formally extended to February 3.
News
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
Tributes are pouring in for Dr Nikhil Autar, a pioneering young doctor and former NSW Young Australian of the Year, who has d!3d at just 32
Tributes flow for pioneering doctor, former NSW Young Australian of the Year Dr Nikhil Autar following death at age 32 A “beloved” young doctor and former NSW Australian of the Year who overcame teenage leukaemia has died aged 32. A…
TRAGIC CRASH VERDICT — Man sentenced over f4tal collision that k!ll3d Ian Welldon in Toowoomba
Man sentenced for killing Ian Welldon in Toowoomba truck and motorcycle crash Ian Welldon was described by his family as funny, kind and hard-working. (Supplied: Welldon family) Allan John Eveleigh has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail after pleading guilty…
End of content
No more pages to load