Nico Antic died following a shark attack in New South Wales, Australia, on Jan. 18
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(1079x876:1081x878):format(webp)/Nico-Antic-shark-attack-012426-3df33de76f6645d0bf36c87b642e4a21.jpg)
Nico Antic.Credit : gofundme
A 12-year-old boy has succumbed to his injuries a week after a shark in Sydney Harbour attacked him.
On Sunday, Jan. 18, Nico Antic was rushed to the Children’s Hospital at Randwick in a critical condition after being “bitten by a shark” along Hermitage Foreshore Walk in Vaucluse, the New South Wales (NSW) Police said in a news release.
Antic, 12, died in the hospital on Saturday, Jan. 24, just days after his parents, Lorena and Juan, had confirmed that he was brain dead, according to U.K. newspaper Metro.
“We are heartbroken that our son, Nico, has passed away,” his family wrote on GoFundMe. “Nico was a happy, friendly, and sporty young boy with the most kind and generous spirit. He was always full of life and that is how we will remember him.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(1270x996:1272x998):format(webp)/Shark-Beach-Nielsen-Park-Vaucluse-Sydney-012426-38272c5bf0bd447b9a514be22f6000f6.jpg)
Shark Beach at Nielsen Park in Vaucluse, Sydney.Getty
“We would like to sincerely thank the first responders and the teams at Sydney Children’s hospital, Randwick, for everything they did to care for Nico,” they continued, also thanking their community for their support.
Antic had been jumping off a 6 m (19.6-foot) rock with two friends when the shark attack occurred. He was pulled out of the water by one of his friends, 7News Australia reported.
“He kept fighting and breathing in my arms and he never gave up for a second…I’m grateful I was there for his last moments awake,” the friend told the outlet. “There was a brief second where Nico woke up while he was bleeding and he just looked at me and then stopped and I thought I lost him… I’m so surprised he fought for so long.”
Emergency services responded to reports of a boy bitten by what is believed to have been a bull shark in the area at 4:20 p.m. local time on Jan. 18, PEOPLE previously reported. He “suffered leg injuries” in the incident, according to the NSW Police.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(1398x483:1400x485):format(webp)/Sydneys-north-012426-826f079ce0664db28bf88edcb3589f79.jpg)
Palm Beach in Sydney.Steve Christo – Corbis/Corbis via Getty
Antic’s death comes just weeks before his 13th birthday, Metro reported.
The GoFundMe set up in his memory has raised over $250,000 towards its goal of $300,000.
The fatal attack is one of four shark incidents to have occurred in Sydney, Australia, in recent days.
On Jan. 20, a 39-year-old man suffered a chest wound after a shark “took hold” of his surfboard and bit him while surfing in New South Wales. A few hours before, a surfer in his 20s was critically injured in a shark attack at North Steyne Beach in New South Wales.
An 11-year-old boy was also rescued from a suspected bull shark at Sydney’s Dee Why Beach, News.com.au previously reported.
News
A rare insight is shedding light on royal life. A close friend of Princess Kate has revealed how she’s coping amid what’s being described as “unprecedented turbulence” within the royal family
Princess Kate’s close friend reveals how she’s dealing with ‘unprecedented turbulence’ in royal family The Princess of Wales made a return to official visits abroad with her trip to Reggio Emilia in Italy last week – and it has a…
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
“Vanished Without a Trace” – CCTV Footage of Devon Teen Sparks Chilling New Theory After 12 Days of Silence
Large-scale search continues to find missing teen Taylor Charlton was last seen on CCTV on 8 May in Barnstaple Detectives say a large-scale police investigation is continuing as part of efforts to find a missing Devon teenager. Devon and Cornwall…
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
End of content
No more pages to load