Andrew Mountbatten Windsor continues to rank above Princess Anne in the royal line of succession, despite losing his titles this evening.
King Charles has formally begun the process of removing his brother’s styles and honours, but this has not affected the established succession order.
Palace sources told GB News that Andrew remains eighth in line to the throne.
Buckingham Palace confirmed the move in a statement tonight, saying: “His Majesty has today initiated a formal process to remove the Style, Titles and Honours of Prince Andrew.

Andrew remains ahead of Princess Anne in Royal Family line of succession despite losing titles
| GETTY
“Prince Andrew will now be known as Andrew Mountbatten Windsor.”
Although his titles have been withdrawn, Andrew’s position ahead of his sister is unchanged. This dates back to the rule of male-preference primogeniture, under which younger sons took precedence over older daughters.
When the late Queen’s children were born, this rule placed Andrew and Edward ahead of Anne. Parliament replaced it with gender-neutral succession in 2013, but the reform only applies to royals born after October 28, 2011.
As a result, Anne remains behind her younger brother, born in 1960, while the new law applies only to the next generation.

Princess Anne is one of the hardest working royals | GETTY
The contrast between royal workload and succession ranking is particularly stark in Anne’s case.
She completed 474 engagements in 2024, a 2.4 per cent increase from the previous year, earning her a reputation as the monarchy’s hardest-working member. Andrew, by comparison, has not undertaken official duties since 2019.
Despite this, succession remains determined by birth order, not service.
The King’s order also includes the removal of Andrew’s titles, Duke of York, Earl of Inverness and Baron Killyleagh and a directive to vacate Royal Lodge.

Andrew Mountbatten Windsor is listed as ‘Duke of York’ on Line of Succession | ROYAL.UK

Andrew to live in Sandringham property funded by King after Royal Lodge exit | GETTY“The lease on Royal Lodge has, to date, provided him with legal protection to continue in residence,” the Palace said. “Formal notice has now been served to surrender the lease and he will move to alternative private accommodation.”
Andrew has lived at the Windsor property since 2003, with Sarah Ferguson joining him five years later. The couple, divorced since 1996 but long cohabiting, will now live separately.
The King will privately fund Andrew’s move to a property on the Sandringham Estate.
Sarah, who ceased using her Duchess of York title when Andrew dropped his Duke title on October 17, will need to secure her own home.
News
A surprising detail from the past has emerged about — and it’s caught royal fans completely off guard
Princess Kate’s surprising link to Downton Abbey star revealed Though she’s now happily married to Prince William, the Princess of Wales once reportedly had a crush on an actor that many of us will have seen on screen… any years…
Prince William shared a heartfelt message about Kate on a special live radio broadcast — and it touched the hearts of listener
Prince William says family ‘couldn’t cope without’ Kate during cancer treatment on live radio appearance The Prince of Wales has joined Amanda Holden and Jamie Theakston on Heart FM from the Isles of Scilly for a special live broadcast rince…
Eyebrows are being raised over fresh comments. Mike Tindall has reportedly taken subtle swipes at Prince Andrew and Prince Harry — sparking speculation about underlying tensions
Mike Tindall takes swipes at Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and Prince Harry Mike Tindall revealed he had been warned against discussing the former Duke of York Mike Tindall has took swipes at Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and Prince Harry during an appearance at the…
An unexpected performance is stealing the spotlight. King Charles surprised locals by playing a ukulele as his visit to Northern Ireland came to an end.
King Charles shocks locals with ukulele solo as Northern Ireland trip concludes The monarch performed in front of a crowd on the final day of his three-day trip with Queen Camilla King Charles demonstrated his musical talents during the final…
A rare insight is shedding light on royal life. A close friend of Princess Kate has revealed how she’s coping amid what’s being described as “unprecedented turbulence” within the royal family
Princess Kate’s close friend reveals how she’s dealing with ‘unprecedented turbulence’ in royal family The Princess of Wales made a return to official visits abroad with her trip to Reggio Emilia in Italy last week – and it has a…
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
End of content
No more pages to load