The luxury MV Hondius cruise ship at the center of a deadly suspected hantavirus outbreak has been refused permission to dock in the West African island nation of Cape Verde, officials said Monday.
Roughly 150 people are currently trapped on the Dutch cruise liner off the African coast after three passengers died and others became seriously sick with symptoms.
The ship, which was on a weekslong polar cruise from Argentina to Antarctica, had requested help from local health authorities on Sunday following the latest death.
Cruise ship MV Hondius docks off Cape Verde port, as passengers were not allowed off the ship, while health authorities investigated suspected cases of hantavirus aboard the vessel, in Praia Port, Cape Verde, May 4, 2026. REUTERS
Roughly 150 people are currently on the Dutch cruise liner off the African coast after three passengers died and others became seriously sick with symptoms. TikTok/@jakerosmarin)
So far, no one has yet been allowed to disembark, the company operating the cruise said.
Authorities in Cape Verde, for their part, said they had not allowed the Dutch-flagged ship to dock as a precaution, citing the “aim of protecting national public health.”
The ship’s operator, Oceanwide Expeditions, said it was “managing a serious medical situation” and looking into whether passengers could be screened and disembarked on the islands of Las Palmas and Tenerife.
Three people – a Dutch couple and a German national – have died in recent weeks following the suspected hantavirus outbreak.
Jake Rosmarin, a passenger aboard the MV Hondius, posts a statement in a photo shared to Instagram on May 4, 2026. Instagram/@jakerosmarin
Jake Rosmarin, a passenger aboard the MV Hondius. TikTok/@jakerosmarin
The outbreak was reported aboard the MV Hondius cruise ship during its journey between Argentina and Cape Verde. REUTERS
Medics are now also working to try to evacuate at least two people with symptoms of the deadly virus.
A 70-year-old Dutch man died back on April 11 after developing a fever, headache, abdominal pain, and diarrhea, officials said.
His sick 69-year-old wife was later transferred to South Africa, but collapsed at a Johannesburg airport and died at a nearby hospital.
An interior view of the MV Hondius shared by travel influencer Jake Rosmarin in a video posted to TikTok on April 1, 2026. TikTok/@jakerosmarin)
So far, no one has yet been allowed to disembark, the company operating the cruise said. TikTok/@jakerosmarin)
Authorities in Cape Verde, for their part, said they had not allowed the Dutch-flagged ship to dock as a precaution, citing the “aim of protecting national public health.” via REUTERS
Route of the MV Hondius cruise ship, on which three passengers died and another fighting for their life after a suspected hantavirus outbreak. NY Post Design
An ill British man was taken off the ship and evacuated to South Africa on April 27, where he later tested positive for hantavirus — a rare infection spread by rodents that can cause serious respiratory illness or hemorrhagic fever.
A third passenger — identified as a German national — died on the ship on Saturday.
The three fatalities haven’t yet been confirmed as hantavirus.
News
“THEY HIT EACH OTHER MID-AIR… THEN THE SKY ERUPTED IN FLAMES”: TWO FIGHTER JETS COLLIDE DURING IDAHO AIR SHOW AS TERRIFIED CROWD WATCHES IN HORROR
Idaho air show horror after 2 jets crash in front of frightened spectators Two jets crashed in midair at an air show in Idaho on Sunday — but all four crew members were able to safely eject, according to reports. The two…
MAJOR UPDATE: “BEFORE THE SHARKS ARRIVE” ELITE RESCUE DIVERS RACING AGAINST TIME IN DEADLY MALDIVES SEARCH AS FEARS GROW UNDERWATER
World’s best divers in race against time to recover bodies of Maldives tourists before sharks get to them An elite squad of divers is in a race against time to recover the final bodies of the five Italians who died in Thursday’s…
“WE WENT DOWN THERE TO BRING THEM HOME… NOW ANOTHER FAMILY IS GRIEVING” — RECOVERY DIVER REPORTEDLY D!ES DURING DEADLY MALDIVES SEARCH MISSION
Diver dies after searching for bodies of tourists killed in Maldives scuba tragedy A Maldivian Coast Guard diver has died in the effort to recover the bodies of four Italian divers that officials believe are deep inside an underwater cave. Five divers were killed…
“THEY’RE RACING THE OCEAN BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE” — ELITE DIVERS ENTER DEADLY MALDIVES WATERS AS RECOVERY MISSION TURNS INTO NIGHTMARE
“THE CLOCK IS TICKING UNDERWATER”: Elite Recovery Divers Race Against Time In Deadly Maldives Dive Disaster 🌊🚨 6 An intense recovery mission is now unfolding beneath the waters of the Maldives as elite dive teams continue searching dangerous underwater areas…
‘I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO D!E TOO’ — SOLE SURVIVOR OF DEADLY MALDIVES SCUBA DISASTER BREAKS SILENCE AFTER 5 PEOPLE NEVER MADE IT BACK
“THERE WAS NOTHING BELOW US BUT DARKNESS”: Sole Survivor Of Deadly Maldives Dive Tragedy Reveals Chilling Final Moments Before Five Divers Vanished 🌊😳 6 The sole survivor of the catastrophic scuba diving disaster in the Maldives has now broken silence…
2-YEAR-OLD GIRL TRAGICALLY D!ES AFTER HEAVY DRESSER TOPPLES OVER IN DEVASTATING HOME ACCIDENT
Two-year-old girl crushed to death by 80lb dresser she was climbing as she tried to reach a toy A Texas toddler died after being fatally crushed by a dresser she was climbing to reach a toy sitting on the top. Helena Cochrane…
End of content
No more pages to load