The duke celebrated a special birthday this year
ing Charles threw a special, belated birthday party for the Duke of Kent earlier this week to celebrate his 90th birthday.
The party came just over a month after the death of the duke’s wife, Katharine, Duchess of Kent. She died on September 4, aged 92.
The Duke of Kent lost his wife in September (Credit: Photo by Shutterstock)
Period of mourning for the Duke of Kent after death of his wife
The duchess’ death was announced by the palace last month in a heartfelt statement.
“It is with deep sorrow that Buckingham Palace announces the death of Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Kent,” the palace said.
“Her Royal Highness passed away peacefully last night at Kensington Palace, surrounded by her family. The King and Queen and all Members of The Royal Family join The Duke of Kent, his children and grandchildren in mourning their loss and remembering fondly The Duchess’s life-long devotion to all the organisations with which she was associated, her passion for music and her empathy for young people,” they added.
Her funeral took place at Westminster Cathedral on September 16. Several senior royals were in attendance.
The Duke of Kent celebrated his 90th birthday on October 9 (Credit: Cover Images)
King Charles throws a ‘birthday party’ for the Duke of Kent
Following a period of mourning for the duke, he finally got to celebrate his landmark birthday earlier this week. The duke turned 90 on October 9.
On Wednesday (October 29), the king and queen hosted a private reception at Windsor Castle for the duke.
Other members of the royal family were in attendance, including Prince Edward, Princess Anne, and her husband Sir Timothy Laurence.
The duke’s siblings, Princess Alexandra, 88, and Prince Michael of Kent, 83, were also in attendance, as was his cousin, 81-year-old Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester.
Sophie, Duchess of Edinburgh, didn’t join her husband due to other work commitments. Meanwhile, the Prince and Princess of Wales have been on their half-term break with their children.
The duke went to a concert in memory of his wife (Credit: Cover Images)
Duke of Kent’s first engagement since death of duchess
Earlier this month, the Duke of Kent made his first public appearance since the funeral of his wife.
On October 17, the duke attended a concert at the Polish Heart Club in London in memory of his late wife.
A number of pictures of the duke alongside people who took part in the concert were posted on X and Instagram. You can see them here.
“A fine concert to celebrate HRH The Duchess of Kent @ognisko_polskie – honoured to be invited to say a few words,” royal author Hugo Vickers wrote on Instagram, sharing a snap of the duke at the concert.
Royal fans took to social media to send their support to the duke.
“Thanks to everyone who supports the Duke of Kent during this difficult period and honours the memory of his wife,” one fan said.
“My heart goes out to his Royal Highness,” another wrote.
“Amazing to remember our beloved Duchess of Kent, proud of our Duke of Kent, god bless the Kents and all royal family,” a third said.
News
A surprising detail from the past has emerged about — and it’s caught royal fans completely off guard
Princess Kate’s surprising link to Downton Abbey star revealed Though she’s now happily married to Prince William, the Princess of Wales once reportedly had a crush on an actor that many of us will have seen on screen… any years…
Prince William shared a heartfelt message about Kate on a special live radio broadcast — and it touched the hearts of listener
Prince William says family ‘couldn’t cope without’ Kate during cancer treatment on live radio appearance The Prince of Wales has joined Amanda Holden and Jamie Theakston on Heart FM from the Isles of Scilly for a special live broadcast rince…
Eyebrows are being raised over fresh comments. Mike Tindall has reportedly taken subtle swipes at Prince Andrew and Prince Harry — sparking speculation about underlying tensions
Mike Tindall takes swipes at Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and Prince Harry Mike Tindall revealed he had been warned against discussing the former Duke of York Mike Tindall has took swipes at Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and Prince Harry during an appearance at the…
An unexpected performance is stealing the spotlight. King Charles surprised locals by playing a ukulele as his visit to Northern Ireland came to an end.
King Charles shocks locals with ukulele solo as Northern Ireland trip concludes The monarch performed in front of a crowd on the final day of his three-day trip with Queen Camilla King Charles demonstrated his musical talents during the final…
A rare insight is shedding light on royal life. A close friend of Princess Kate has revealed how she’s coping amid what’s being described as “unprecedented turbulence” within the royal family
Princess Kate’s close friend reveals how she’s dealing with ‘unprecedented turbulence’ in royal family The Princess of Wales made a return to official visits abroad with her trip to Reggio Emilia in Italy last week – and it has a…
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
End of content
No more pages to load