A beachgoer has revealed the final time he saw a man before he vanished off a popular beach as the search to find him resumes.
A man was “laughing” with his friends moments before he vanished off a popular beach in Sydney’s east, a beachgoer has revealed.
The search for the man, who failed to return to shore at Maroubra Beach on Sunday, has resumed.
Emergency services were called about 4pm on Sunday following reports a man swimming at the southern end of Maroubra Beach had not returned to the shore.
The man in his 30s was with several friends at the time, police say.
Crews from the Marine Area Command, Surf Life Saving, Randwick Council, and Toll and Westpac helicopters looked for the man until 6pm before the search was suspended.
The search for the man resumed at 8am on Monday.
Crews searched for a man who failed to return to shore at Maroubra Beach on Sunday. Picture: Robert Wood
A helicopter was involved in the search. Picture: Robert Wood
Beachgoer Robert Wood, 45, was looking for crabs with his son at Maroubra on Sunday afternoon when he came across a couple looking for sea urchins.
“A friend of theirs came along who was also looking for sea urchins … he was laughing,” Mr Wood told NewsWire.
“He went to my left and that was the last I saw of him.”
Emergency services were alerted about 4pm on Sunday. Picture: Robert Wood
Police say the man had been with friends before the incident. Picture: Marine Rescue NSW
Mr Wood said the man had been on the rocks looking for sea urchins with his friends.
The man’s friends had no idea he was missing at first, Mr Wood said.
“They did not think at all that their mate had gone missing,” he Wood said.
Mr Wood said the swell was about half a metre, describing the incident as “sad”.
The search will resume on Monday. Picture: Marine Rescue NSW
Marine Rescue NSW Inspector Andrew Harding on Sunday said conditions were “not favourable”.
“Conditions are not favourable offshore this afternoon, with choppy seas and squally rain showers,” he said.
“Volunteer crews on board Middle Harbour 30 and Botany Hacking 32 will continue searching this evening until instructed otherwise by NSW Police Marine Area Command.
“Marine Rescue NSW vessels and crews are on standby to assist should the search continue tomorrow.”
News
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
Tributes are pouring in for Dr Nikhil Autar, a pioneering young doctor and former NSW Young Australian of the Year, who has d!3d at just 32
Tributes flow for pioneering doctor, former NSW Young Australian of the Year Dr Nikhil Autar following death at age 32 A “beloved” young doctor and former NSW Australian of the Year who overcame teenage leukaemia has died aged 32. A…
TRAGIC CRASH VERDICT — Man sentenced over f4tal collision that k!ll3d Ian Welldon in Toowoomba
Man sentenced for killing Ian Welldon in Toowoomba truck and motorcycle crash Ian Welldon was described by his family as funny, kind and hard-working. (Supplied: Welldon family) Allan John Eveleigh has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail after pleading guilty…
End of content
No more pages to load