King Charles is ‘greatly shocked and saddened’ after army rider falls from their horse and dies at Royal Windsor Horse Show
King Charles is ‘greatly shocked and saddened’ after a soldier was thrown from their horse and died just moments after performing in front of him at the Royal Windsor Horse Show.
The individual, who was in the King’s Troop, Royal Horse Artillery, is understood to have been fatally injured following an incident on Friday evening, Thames Valley Police said.
They are said to have fallen from their horse at around 7pm, having just exited the arena following the performance.
The military rider was given immediate treatment, but sustained serious injuries and died at the scene.
Police said next of kin had been informed and are being supported. The death is being treated as unexplained but non-suspicious.
A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said the King was ‘greatly shocked and saddened’ to learn of the death, adding that he ‘will be in touch with the family to share his personal condolences’.
They added: ‘While His Majesty and other Members of The Royal Family were present at the arena at the time the incident took place, they were not made aware of the severity of the situation until later.
‘The thoughts and most heartfelt sympathies of the whole Royal Family are with the victim’s loved ones and military colleagues at this time of grief.’
+6
View gallery
A soldier in the King’s Troop, Royal Horse Artillery, died just moments after performing in front of King Charles at the Royal Windsor Horse Show on Friday
+6
View gallery
King Charles III was seen watching the troop perform at the popular show on Friday
The Royal Windsor Horse Show is continuing as planned, with the omission of The King’s Troop, Royal Horse Artillery display.
Charles met members of the troop on Saturday morning alongside the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh, as he arrived for the third day of the event.
Thames Valley Police chief superintendent Michael Loebenberg said: ‘We are appealing for anyone with information or material relating to the sad death of a military rider at Royal Windsor Horse Show yesterday to please get in touch.
‘Our thoughts are with the soldier’s family and the wider community in the military and at the Royal Windsor Horse Show at this extremely difficult time.
‘At this stage, we have not found any suspicious circumstances. We are working with the Ministry of Defence, the Defence Accident Investigation Branch and Royal Windsor Horse Show organisers HPower to gather as much information as possible to understand how this happened.’
An army spokesperson said: ‘It is with deep regret that we announce a member of The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery died on Friday 15 May, following a tragic incident at the Royal Windsor Horse Show.
‘The family has been notified, and our thoughts are with them at this sad and difficult time.’
Jo Peck, HPower Event Director, said: ‘Our thoughts and sympathies are with the family of the soldier who sadly died yesterday.
‘The Royal Windsor Horse Show will continue today as per the published timetable, with the omission of The King’s Troop, Royal Horse Artillery display.’
Anyone with information is asked to call 101, quoting reference number 521.
The incident occurred just hours after the King and the Duchess of Edinburgh were seen in attendance at the royal horse show on Friday.
+6
View gallery
Organisers said the Royal Windsor Horse Show would continue, with the omission of the troop. Pictured: King Charles arriving at the Royal Windsor Horse Show on Saturday
+6
View gallery
King Charles has expressed his ‘shock’ at the news. Pictured: The monarch greeted members of the public at the Royal Windsor Horse Show on Saturday
Sophie was also seen alongside her daughter, Lady Louise Windsor, in a rare appearance from the young royal.
King Charles‘ niece, 22, has been present at the event, but also working away behind the scenes at her part-time job.
According to Nick Brooks-Ward, director of the event, the down-to-earth royal is operating a ‘first concierge service’.
In addition to helping out behind-the-scenes, Lady Louise will also compete in the carriage driving event on Sunday.
The royal was taught to carriage drive as a young girl by her grandfather, the late Prince Philip, and the pair are said to have bonded over a shared love of the sport.
Lady Louise now frequently partakes in equestrian competitions and has driven her beloved grandfather’s ponies as a way to keep his memory alive.
She will participate in the Meet of the British Driving Society on Sunday, with Edward and Sophie expected to attend in their role as president and vice-president of the show.
Princess Anne and Prince Edward have also been in attendance at the event since it opened on Thursday.
+6
View gallery
Sophie, 61, who serves as vice president of the annual show, was spotted taking in the atmosphere on Friday
+6
View gallery
The Duchess of Edinburgh and her daughter Lady Louise Windsor pictured on Friday
The Royal Windsor Horse Show is a popular occasion among royals, and was said to be the late Queen Elizabeth II’s favourite event on the royal calendar.
It was first staged in 1943 to help raise funds for the Second World War effort.
The inaugural show was attended by members of the Royal Family including King George VI, Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother) and the two young princesses, Elizabeth and Margaret.
The Royal Windsor Horse Show is the only time of year the private grounds of Windsor Castle are open to the public.
News
“ARROGANCE OR HONESTY? — Prince Harry’s 9-Word Comment Is Sparking Fresh Royal Backlash, he doesn’t understand that no one cares
Harry just revealed his arrogance with 9 words – he doesn’t understand that no one cares The King’s second son has seen fit to lecture Brits from the other side of the Atlantic. A prince across the water is traditionally…
BREAKING: “THEY COULD SEE LAND… BUT THEY STILL COULDN’T LEAVE THE SHIP” 😨 NEARLY 150 PASSENGERS LEFT STRANDED AS HANTAVIRUS CRISIS UNFOLDED AT SEA
The luxury MV Hondius cruise ship at the center of a deadly suspected hantavirus outbreak has been refused permission to dock in the West African island nation of Cape Verde, officials said Monday. Roughly 150 people are currently trapped on the Dutch cruise liner off…
“THEY HIT EACH OTHER MID-AIR… THEN THE SKY ERUPTED IN FLAMES”: TWO FIGHTER JETS COLLIDE DURING IDAHO AIR SHOW AS TERRIFIED CROWD WATCHES IN HORROR
Idaho air show horror after 2 jets crash in front of frightened spectators Two jets crashed in midair at an air show in Idaho on Sunday — but all four crew members were able to safely eject, according to reports. The two…
MAJOR UPDATE: “BEFORE THE SHARKS ARRIVE” ELITE RESCUE DIVERS RACING AGAINST TIME IN DEADLY MALDIVES SEARCH AS FEARS GROW UNDERWATER
World’s best divers in race against time to recover bodies of Maldives tourists before sharks get to them An elite squad of divers is in a race against time to recover the final bodies of the five Italians who died in Thursday’s…
“WE WENT DOWN THERE TO BRING THEM HOME… NOW ANOTHER FAMILY IS GRIEVING” — RECOVERY DIVER REPORTEDLY D!ES DURING DEADLY MALDIVES SEARCH MISSION
Diver dies after searching for bodies of tourists killed in Maldives scuba tragedy A Maldivian Coast Guard diver has died in the effort to recover the bodies of four Italian divers that officials believe are deep inside an underwater cave. Five divers were killed…
“THEY’RE RACING THE OCEAN BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE” — ELITE DIVERS ENTER DEADLY MALDIVES WATERS AS RECOVERY MISSION TURNS INTO NIGHTMARE
“THE CLOCK IS TICKING UNDERWATER”: Elite Recovery Divers Race Against Time In Deadly Maldives Dive Disaster 🌊🚨 6 An intense recovery mission is now unfolding beneath the waters of the Maldives as elite dive teams continue searching dangerous underwater areas…
End of content
No more pages to load