Prince William ‘eyeing £500m move’ as part of major estate overhaul
The heir to the throne is set on tackling housing shortages and nature decline.

Prince William (Image: Getty)
Prince William is set to sell off 20% of the Duchy of Cornwall over the next decade. The royal will sell a fifth of the duchy as he plans to invest £500million in tackling housing and nature crises.
As heir to the throne, the Prince of Wales inherited the estate – a portfolio of land, property and investments valued at more than £1billion – when his father King Charles III became monarch. It provides William, who is the 25th Duke of Cornwall, with a private income of almost £23million a year. The money is used to fund the charitable, private and official lives of the Prince, as well as those of his wife Catherine, the Princess of Wales, and their three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
In a move reported by The Times today, the prince is expected consolidate his holdings around five geographic “heartlands”. These include the Isles of Scilly, Cornwall, Dartmoor, the Bath area and Kennington, south London.
Will Bax, chief executive of the Duchy of Cornwall, told the newspaper that William decided the duchy “shouldn’t just exist to own land” and “should first and foremost exist to have a positive impact on the world”.
Addressing the plan to sell off around a fifth of the estate, he said: “If we don’t see an opportunity for positive impact, then perhaps we don’t need to be a part of that place.
“But where there is social need and where there is environmental challenge and where there is an opportunity to enable change, then we’ll be a great partner in working with people to achieve that.”
The prince plans to invest half a billion, made up from land sales, development income, partnerships and borrowing, into his priorities, Mr Bax said.
In March tenants of the Duchy of Cornwall said they had been left “enormously stressed” following plans to sell off land on an estate in Devon.
The Bradninch estate, near Cullompton, has been part of the duchy for hundreds of years.
Mr Bax said that all 10 tenants were “engaged in a conversation around buying their farm”, and he believes the majority of them would.
News
MAJOR UPDATE: “BEFORE THE SHARKS ARRIVE” ELITE RESCUE DIVERS RACING AGAINST TIME IN DEADLY MALDIVES SEARCH AS FEARS GROW UNDERWATER
World’s best divers in race against time to recover bodies of Maldives tourists before sharks get to them An elite squad of divers is in a race against time to recover the final bodies of the five Italians who died in Thursday’s…
“WE WENT DOWN THERE TO BRING THEM HOME… NOW ANOTHER FAMILY IS GRIEVING” — RECOVERY DIVER REPORTEDLY D!ES DURING DEADLY MALDIVES SEARCH MISSION
Diver dies after searching for bodies of tourists killed in Maldives scuba tragedy A Maldivian Coast Guard diver has died in the effort to recover the bodies of four Italian divers that officials believe are deep inside an underwater cave. Five divers were killed…
“THEY’RE RACING THE OCEAN BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE” — ELITE DIVERS ENTER DEADLY MALDIVES WATERS AS RECOVERY MISSION TURNS INTO NIGHTMARE
“THE CLOCK IS TICKING UNDERWATER”: Elite Recovery Divers Race Against Time In Deadly Maldives Dive Disaster 🌊🚨 6 An intense recovery mission is now unfolding beneath the waters of the Maldives as elite dive teams continue searching dangerous underwater areas…
‘I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO D!E TOO’ — SOLE SURVIVOR OF DEADLY MALDIVES SCUBA DISASTER BREAKS SILENCE AFTER 5 PEOPLE NEVER MADE IT BACK
“THERE WAS NOTHING BELOW US BUT DARKNESS”: Sole Survivor Of Deadly Maldives Dive Tragedy Reveals Chilling Final Moments Before Five Divers Vanished 🌊😳 6 The sole survivor of the catastrophic scuba diving disaster in the Maldives has now broken silence…
2-YEAR-OLD GIRL TRAGICALLY D!ES AFTER HEAVY DRESSER TOPPLES OVER IN DEVASTATING HOME ACCIDENT
Two-year-old girl crushed to death by 80lb dresser she was climbing as she tried to reach a toy A Texas toddler died after being fatally crushed by a dresser she was climbing to reach a toy sitting on the top. Helena Cochrane…
MISSING WOMAN FOUND D3AD AFTER DISAPPEARING FROM ALABAMA HOME — BOYFRIEND NOW CHARGED IN CHILLING CASE
Missing 23-year-old Alabama woman’s body is found by friends and family during search as man is charged with corpse abuse The search for a missing 23-year-old Alabama woman has ended in tragedy, with her family and friends finding her dead on Saturday…
End of content
No more pages to load