Three fishermen found dead have been identified as it’s revealed the trio continued with their trip despite warnings of dangerous conditions.
Les DeMamiel, 74, Russell Fisher, 67, and John McKenzie, 65, were reported missing off the shore of Beachport, south-east South Australia, at 2.30pm on Sunday.
Police launched a large-scale search of the area before the trio were found dead.
Locals told The Advertiser conditions were horrible, with swells up to 3 metres high, and that they had warned the group not to go out.
Superintendent Trent Cox said while safety gear was on the boat, it was not being worn.
‘It’s a tragic end to what should have been a pretty standard trip for these gentlemen,’ he said.
‘Our early investigations indicate that while they did have life jackets on board, they weren’t wearing them, none of them were wearing them.’
He said they made a ‘poor decision’ and ‘paid the price’.

+4
View gallery
John McKenzie,65, was the youngest of the three fishermen who passed away

+4
View gallery
A fishing trip near South Australia’s south-east coast has ended in tragedy after the three fishermen on board were found dead
Beachport Boat Yard manager Clint Sneath, who has lived in town for 35 years, said the three men should never have gone on the trip in the first place.
‘These people probably didn’t understand the conditions … and they can cause death,’ Mr Sneath said.
‘The tides, especially down here, change in a matter of minutes and completely in half an hour.
‘Over the years there’s been a lot of drownings and it’s never nice. It always brings up emotions, but it’s avoidable.’
Mr Sneath said they were warned before going out.
‘They were warned about it and did it anyway, now this is the consequence,’ he said.
Beachport resident Dot Hill and her husband Burt, who were close friends of Mr DeMamiel, met the other two about a month ago.
‘He was the most amazing person and they were the most absolutely beautiful people,’ Ms Hill said.

+4
View gallery
Les DeMamiel, 74, was good friends with Beachport residents Dot Hill and her husband Burt

+4
View gallery
Russell Fisher, 67, was one of the three fisherman on board
Ms Hill recalled spending her final time with the three fishermen on Saturday, which included a ‘lovely’ dinner.
‘They arrived Saturday morning and a cray pot had been dropped at our house and Les and the boys came to pick it up before they went out and dropped the cray pots in,’ she said.
‘Burt said to them … that we’d catch up for a drink with them later at the Tavern and at about 4.15pm, we arrived and were met with big cuddles and kisses, just as good friends do.
‘It was such a lovely time to spend time with these boys … and that was really, really good for me and for Burt, just to spend that time together with them.’
The Bar Crusher boat, owned by one of the fishermen’s sons, was found deep in sand about 4km south of Beachport on Monday and was salvaged by rescue crews, police and locals using shovels and a tractor.
Investigations into what caused the boat to turn over are still underway.
News
IT WAS ALL OVER THE PROPERTY MONEY… — COUSIN ACCUSED OF K!LLING Prince McFarland IN SH0CKING FAMILY TRAG-EDY THAT LEFT QUEENS STUNNED
A shocking family tragedy in South Jamaica, Queens, New York has left a community stunned after a heated dispute over family property reportedly ended with two cousins dead inside a home that had been put up for sale. The incident,…
You just never know when it’s time to go…. — FAMOUS RAPPER REPORTEDLY K!LLED BY FAMILY MEMBER OVER $600K QUEENS HOME, FANS LEFT STUNNED
A family property dispute in Queens, New York ended in shocking tragedy after rapper Prince McFarland was k!lled in a shooting connected to a home worth more than $600,000. According to information shared in a video summarizing the case, Prince…
HE DELETED THE FOOTAGE… — CHI-LLING NEW DETAIL IN THE Kayla Atwood CASE LEAVES MANY PEOPLE STUNNED
The disappearance of 32-year-old Kayla Atwood in Pensacola, Florida shocked the public after a series of disturbing details gradually emerged throughout the investigation. According to authorities, Kayla was last seen on January 3, 2024 after dropping her children off at…
VERY DANGER0US – POLICE CONFIRM 3 PEOPLE WANTED AFTER MAN SH0T 15 TIMES IN KENTUCKY, ONE DETAIL LEAVES EVERYONE STUNNED…
“They should be considered armed and dangerous,” the Newport Police Department said in a statement Tiance Combs, Kortney Alford and Terry Moses.Credit : Newport Police Department Police in Kentucky are searching for two men and a woman wanted in connection…
MAN SH0T 15 TIMES — MAN GUNNED DOWN IN BRU-TAL ATT-ACK AS THREE SUSPECTS REMAIN WANTED, COMMUNITY LEFT IN SH0CK
“They should be considered armed and dangerous,” the Newport Police Department said in a statement Tiance Combs, Kortney Alford and Terry Moses.Credit : Newport Police Department Police in Kentucky are searching for two men and a woman wanted in connection…
SHOCK ALLEGATION EMERGES — Prosecutors CLAIM Kouri Richins TARGETED LEAD DETECTIVE AFTER ARREST
The posting of the ‘gay dating profile’ is just one of the ‘new to the record’ incidents prosecutors’ included in their sentencing memo Kouri Richins.Credit : Trent Nelson – Pool/Getty Prosecutors are sharing details about a number of actions that they…
End of content
No more pages to load