The annual ceremony celebrates the achievements of children with serious illnesses
Prince Harry has confirmed his upcoming return to London for a major engagement, although Meghan Markle is set to remain in the US.
The Duke of Sussex will attend the 2025 WellChild Awards, in association with GSK, on September 8 in London.
The annual ceremony celebrates the achievements of children with serious illnesses and the dedication of those who care for them.
The Duchess of Sussex is set to remain in Montecito with the couple’s two children, Prince Archie, six, and Princess Lilibet, four.
Prince Harry arriving at a secret London location for the WellChild Awards in 2024
Now marking its 20th year, the WellChild Awards are organised by the national charity for seriously ill children. The event highlights the resilience of young people living with complex medical needs and honours the families, carers and professionals who support them.
Harry has been Patron of WellChild for 17 years, helping to raise awareness and vital funds to improve the quality of life for seriously ill children.
He has personally supported the charity’s mission and has attended the Awards on 14 previous occasions. This year, as in previous years, he will meet each winner and their families at a pre-ceremony reception, listening to their stories and helping to create lasting memories.
During the ceremony, the Duke will present the Award for Inspirational Child (aged four to six) and deliver a speech.
Prince Harry has been a patron of the WellChild Awards since 2007 |
In a statement, Prince Harry said: “I am always privileged to attend the WellChild Awards and meet the incredible children, families and professionals who inspire us all with their strength and spirit.
“For 20 years, these Awards have highlighted the courage of young people living with complex health needs and shone a light on the devoted caregivers – family and professionals – who support them every step of the way.
“Their stories remind us of the power of compassion, connection and community.”
Last year’s Awards, held at the Royal Lancaster Hotel in London, brought together children, families, healthcare workers and supporters for a star-studded evening.
The Duke of Sussex will return to the UK to attend the WellChild Awards
| PA
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry at the WellChild Awards in 2018 | PA
Guests included Rod Stewart and Penny Lancaster, Rylan Clark, KSI and Oti Mabuse, with performances from Beverley Knight MBE and Pixie Lott. Gaby Roslin hosted the event.
In a statement, WellChild Chief Executive Matt James said: “We are excited to celebrate the 20th WellChild Awards, in association with GSK.
“Across the UK, more and more families are caring for children with serious and complex medical needs. Behind each winner’s story is a network of extraordinary people who go above and beyond every single day.
“The WellChild Awards give us the opportunity to recognise and celebrate the resilience of these remarkable children and young people and the commitment of those around them – from parents and siblings, to the professionals who all play their part in ensuring that these children can thrive at home and in their communities.”