
The scene of Monday’s shooting at a rural property in northeastern Victoria, Australia. Nine News
Brisbane, Australia
One of the largest manhunts ever conducted in Australia has ended with the fatal shooting of a fugitive authorities believe to be Dezi Freeman, a self-proclaimed “sovereign citizen” who’d been on the run for seven months after killing two police officers.
Freeman disappeared into dense Australian wilderness in rural Victoria last August, after firing at the officers when they attempted to serve a search warrant on his property over alleged sex crimes.
Hundreds of police officers, dogs and helicopters spent days and weeks scouring the area around the small town of Porepunkah, where residents lived on edge for months amid fears a “heavily armed” Freeman was hiding in the vicinity.

Police board a helicopter at a command area at Feathertop Winery in Porepunkah in Victoria, Australia, on August 27, 2025.
Simon Dallinger/AAP/AP
Law enforcement said the man believed to be Freeman was finally found Monday morning when he was shot dead by police after a three-hour standoff at a rural property in the state’s north-east where officers had surrounded a “long caravan” structure.
“There was an opportunity for him to surrender peacefully, which he did not,” said Mike Bush, Victoria Police Chief Commissioner, adding that they “strongly believe” the man was armed.
Bush said his information suggests the shooting of the fugitive was “justified” though an investigation is underway to determine why police discharged their weapons.

Dezi Freeman, also known as Desmond Filby, fled after shooting two police officers last August.
Victoria Police
Formal identification is underway, but Bush said, if confirmed as Freeman, it would bring “closure to what was a tragic and terrible event.” He said the first people informed of the shooting Monday were the families of two police officers killed last August – Det. Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart-Hottart.
The killing of the two officers was seen by experts as an example of how the sovereign citizen movement that originated in the United States has taken root in Australia and now carries the threat of violence.
Sovereign citizens don’t believe the law applies to them and commonly deploy pseudo-law to challenge the authority of police, lawyers, judges, and other representatives of a system they say is illegitimate and corrupt.

Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart were shot dead by Freeman last August.
Victoria Police
Freeman, previously known as Desmond Filby, was known to authorities after years of railing against the police, who he’d previously called “Nazis” and “terrorist thugs” in evidence submitted to court when he tried to overturn a 2020 conviction for traffic offenses.
The operation to find him involved a massive police effort that pulled in officers from every Australian state and territory, with extra enforcements from New Zealand, as they worked through more than 2,000 leads to track him down.
His suspected discovery nearly 200 kilometers (124 miles) away from the August crime scene shooting raises questions as to how he came to be there, and if he received help.
“I’m sure some actually assisted him in getting away from Porepunkah to where he was located. But that’s a very important part of what comes next to determine that, and if anyone was complicit, they will be held to account,” Bush said.

A police helicopter flies over a property during the search for a fugitive linked to the murder of two police officers, in Porepunkah, Australia, on August 28, 2025.
William West/AFP/Getty Images
Police had previously said they “strongly” believed Freeman was dead and declined to say Monday whether a tip-off had led investigators to his location.
“There was a lot to suggest that Freeman had taken his own life, but I can tell you standing here that our investigators … our professionals keep their mind open to every possible outcome and follow every possible lead,” said Bush.
The Police Association of Victoria said Freeman’s death “represents a step forward” for their members, the families of fallen members and the community.
“Today, we won’t reflect on the loss of a coward. We will remember the courage and bravery of our fallen members, and every officer that has doggedly pursued this outcome for the community.”
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load