Ian Huntley had survived repeated attempts on his life before being bashed. Warning: Graphic

One of the UK’s most notorious child killers has died, days after he was attacked by a fellow inmate in the workshop of a maximum-security prison.
Ian Huntley, a 52-year-old former school caretaker convicted in 2003 for the murder of two 10-year-old girls, had been on life support after being hit repeatedly over the head with a metal bar at Frankland prison in northeast England on February 26.
The murders of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman had transfixed the United Kingdom for two weeks after the best friends vanished from the village of Soham in eastern England on August 4, 2002 after leaving a barbecue to buy sweets.
For 13 days, police searched for the pair, holding out hope they might be alive.
A photo of the girls wearing matching red Manchester United football shirts, taken just before they disappeared, became a fixture of front pages and news broadcasts as detectives mounted a huge hunt.
Thousands visited Soham in an enormous outpouring of concern, leaving hundreds of bouquets outside the local church.
The search ended when a group of hikers discovered the girls’ remains beside a dirt path in a wooded area a few miles from the village.
“The murders remain one of the most shocking and devastating cases in our nation’s history, and our thoughts are with their families,” the UK Ministry of Justice said in a statement.
UK media have reported that murderer and rapist Anthony Russell, 43, was responsible for the attack that ultimately led to Huntley’s death.

Durham Constabulary are investigating the circumstances of the incident that led to Huntley’s death and a file is being prepared for the Crown Prosecution Service for consideration for charges.
Huntley denied murdering the two 10-year-olds but was convicted after a trial at London’s Central Criminal Court in 2003.
His life sentence recommended he serve at least 40 years.
While in prison, Huntley survived repeated attempts on his life, and he was kept under close protection along with other notorious killers.
In one incident in 2010, his throat was slashed by another inmate.
At the time of the murders, Huntley lived with Maxine Carr, a teaching assistant at Holly and Jessica’s school.
Carr gave Huntley a false alibi and was subsequently jailed for 21 months for perverting the course of justice.
She is now living under a new identity.
Huntley and Carr often spoke to reporters during the search for the girls.
Huntley had told them he thought he was one of the last people to see them alive while Carr said she would always keep a card Holly had drawn for her.
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load