
Nancy Guthrie’s family members have been cleared as possible suspects in her abduction, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos says, as the case involving the mother of US Today show host Savannah Guthrie enters its third week.
Ms Guthrie’s family, which includes “all siblings and spouses”, has been cooperative and gracious as authorities investigate the kidnapping, Mr Nanos said on Monday.
“To suggest otherwise is not only wrong, it is cruel,” the sheriff said in a statement.
“The Guthrie family are victims, plain and simple.”
Investigators said on Sunday they had obtained a DNA sample from a glove that was found near the 84-year-old’s Arizona home.
The glove appeared to match the pair worn by a masked man seen in doorbell camera footage before she was abducted two weeks ago, according to investigators.
The FBI has shared surveillance footage at the home of Nancy Guthrie the night she went missing in Tucson. (AP Photo: FBI)
Ms Guthrie was last seen on January 31 when she was dropped off at her home near Tucson by her family after she dined with them, authorities have said. She was reported missing by relatives the following day.
Mr Nanos has said Ms Guthrie was extremely limited in her physical mobility and could not have left her home unassisted, leading investigators to conclude early on that she had been taken against her will.
Investigators are currently consulting with Walmart management to develop leads because a backpack the suspect was seen wearing in the surveillance footage was sold at the stores, Mr Nanos said.
The suspect’s clothing “may have been purchased from Walmart but is not exclusively available at Walmart,” the Pima County Sheriff’s Department said in a statement on Monday.
“This remains a possibility only.”
No proof of life has surfaced
At least two purported ransom notes have surfaced since Ms Guthrie vanished, both of them delivered initially to news media outlets.
There has been no known direct contact between any suspects and Ms Guthrie’s family or authorities.
Traces of blood found on her front porch were confirmed by DNA tests to have come from Ms Guthrie, officials said last week.
Law enforcement and family members have described her as being in frail health and in need of daily medication to survive. She also has a pacemaker.
Police block a residential street in Tucson, Arizona, as the search for clues related to the kidnapping of Nancy Guthrie continues. (Reuters: Rebecca Noble)
Savannah Guthrie, 54, a co-anchor of the popular NBC News morning show Today, has posted several video messages, along with her brother Camron Guthrie and sister Annie Guthrie, pleading for their mother’s return and appealing for the public’s help in solving the case.
Mr Nanos has told Reuters that no proof of life has surfaced since the abduction, but added that “there’s not been any proof of death either”, saying his working presumption is that Ms Guthrie remains alive.
In an interview with the New York Post on Sunday, US President Donald Trump demanded that Ms Guthrie’s kidnappers immediately release her unharmed, suggesting he would want the Justice Department to seek the death penalty if she is found dead.
Authorities would first need to find and convict a suspect before considering sentencing.
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load