Max Furse-Kee, teen killed in Mount Maunganui landslide, remembered as ‘wonderful son, a devoted big brother’
Max Furse-Kee, 15, is one of the unaccounted for victims of the Mt Maunganui landslide. Photo: SUPPLIED
The mother of a 15-year-old boy killed in the Mount Maunganui landslide says he was an “incredible, kind and beautiful human being”.
Max Furse-Kee, 15, and his girlfriend Sharon Maccanico, also 15, are among the six people unaccounted for following the landslide.
His mother, Hannah Furse, released a statement on Sunday.
“My love for Max is impossible to explain, no words are big enough to describe this love or loss,” she said.
“What I can say is from the moment I first looked at his beautiful blue eyes almost 16 years ago he had my whole heart, he was my sunshine.”
Her son was an “incredible, kind, and beautiful human being”, she said.
Mt Maunganui victim Max Furse-Kee with his family. Photo: SUPPLIED
“He was a wonderful son, a devoted big brother, grandson, nephew, friend, teammate, and boyfriend. He was such a good kid, and he is so deeply loved.”
Furse-Kee was “incredibly close” to his family, his mother said.
“He brought so much joy, laughter, and light into our lives every single day. His incredible friends and his girlfriend meant the world to him, and the love, happiness, and sense of belonging they gave him brought him so much joy.”
Furse said life without her son was “impossible to imagine”.
“In truth, all of this feels impossible to imagine. We are endlessly proud of who he is and that he is ours.”
Furse-Kee would have turned 16 this week.
“A ‘milestone’ birthday and something we were all looking forward to celebrating. Just days ago, my biggest fear was him getting his driver’s licence.
“How I wish now that he could have experienced the joy of driving, and so many other moments that growing up brings. Our lives have changed so suddenly and so completely, we will never be the same.”
Mt Maunganui victim Max Furse-Kee pictured with his player of the year trophy at Pakuranga College. Photo: SUPPLIED
The family said they wanted to thank those who had reached out with support.
“We also want to sincerely thank the entire team working at Mauao. We have been cared for with extraordinary kindness, compassion, and humanity. With tears in their eyes they have updated us, sat with us, fed us. They have searched for hours on end and continue to work tirelessly to bring our baby home to us.
“Our hearts are also with the families who are waiting for their loved ones with us. We share this grief with you, and we are holding you close in our thoughts during this unimaginably painful time.
“Max will always be loved, always be ours, and always be remembered. Love you 100 Max.”
Four others were unaccounted for in the landslide, presumed killed – Lisa Anne Maclennan, 50, from Morrinsville; Måns Loke Bernhardsson, 20, from Sweden; Jacqualine Suzanne Wheeler, 71, from Rotorua; and Susan Doreen Knowles, 71, from Ngongotaha.
News
A rare insight is shedding light on royal life. A close friend of Princess Kate has revealed how she’s coping amid what’s being described as “unprecedented turbulence” within the royal family
Princess Kate’s close friend reveals how she’s dealing with ‘unprecedented turbulence’ in royal family The Princess of Wales made a return to official visits abroad with her trip to Reggio Emilia in Italy last week – and it has a…
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
“Vanished Without a Trace” – CCTV Footage of Devon Teen Sparks Chilling New Theory After 12 Days of Silence
Large-scale search continues to find missing teen Taylor Charlton was last seen on CCTV on 8 May in Barnstaple Detectives say a large-scale police investigation is continuing as part of efforts to find a missing Devon teenager. Devon and Cornwall…
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
End of content
No more pages to load