FBI combs desert terrain for clues in Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance
Detectives are continuing to search for clues related to Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance. (Reuters: Rebecca Noble)
The man detained for questioning in the investigation into the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie, the mother of US show host Savannah Guthrie, has been released.
The suspect was detained hours after the FBI released footage and images from the 84-year-old woman’s porch on the night she went missing.
The video showed a person wearing a ski mask, gloves, a backpack and what appeared to be a gun in a holster.
FBI director Kash Patel said investigators had also spent days trying to recover lost, corrupted, or inaccessible images from the surveillance system.
Even though the images do not show the person’s face, investigators are hopeful someone will know who was on the porch.
FBI agents fanned out across a neighbourhood near Nancy Guthrie’s home and searched through the desert for clues on Wednesday, local time.
Detectives search desert terrain
Several hundred detectives and agents are now assigned to the investigation, which is expanding in the Tucson area, the Pima County Sheriff’s Department said.
A resident said an FBI agent told her they were looking for anything that might have been thrown from a car.
A day earlier, authorities said they had stopped a man near the US-Mexico border.
The man told media outlets early on Wednesday, local time, that he was released after several hours and had nothing to do with Ms Guthrie’s disappearance last week.
Savannah Guthrie has not been on the Today Show since the disappearance of her mother Nancy. (Supplied: Instagram)
Authorities have not said what led them to stop the man, but confirmed he was released.
The sheriff’s department said deputies and FBI agents also searched a location in Rio Rico, a city south of Tucson, where the man lived.
More than 4,000 calls came into the Pima County sheriff’s tip line within the last 24 hours, the department said on Wednesday afternoon.
Authorities have said for more than a week that they believe Ms Guthrie was taken against her will.
She was last seen at home on January 31 and reported missing the next day.
DNA tests showed blood on her porch was Nancy Guthrie’s, authorities said.
Savannah Guthrie posted the new surveillance images on social media and said the family believed her mother was still alive.
The longtime host of NBC’s Today program and her two siblings have indicated a willingness to pay a ransom.
It is not known whether ransom notes demanding money with deadlines that have already passed were authentic, or whether the family has had any contact with whoever is responsible.
Authorities have said Nancy Guthrie takes several medications, and there is concern she could die without them.
News
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
Tributes are pouring in for Dr Nikhil Autar, a pioneering young doctor and former NSW Young Australian of the Year, who has d!3d at just 32
Tributes flow for pioneering doctor, former NSW Young Australian of the Year Dr Nikhil Autar following death at age 32 A “beloved” young doctor and former NSW Australian of the Year who overcame teenage leukaemia has died aged 32. A…
TRAGIC CRASH VERDICT — Man sentenced over f4tal collision that k!ll3d Ian Welldon in Toowoomba
Man sentenced for killing Ian Welldon in Toowoomba truck and motorcycle crash Ian Welldon was described by his family as funny, kind and hard-working. (Supplied: Welldon family) Allan John Eveleigh has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail after pleading guilty…
End of content
No more pages to load
