A bushfire burns at Cape Otway on January 8, 2025. (Supplied: Conservation Ecology Centre)
Summer may be drawing to a close in Australia, but authorities warn the risk of bushfires will remain high in large parts of Victoria, NSW and WA where fuel reduction burning programs could be delayed.
In its latest seasonal bushfire outlook for autumn, the Australian and New Zealand Council for fire and emergency services (AFAC) has identified an increased risk of bushfires in southern, central, and eastern New South Wales, parts of southern Western Australia, and a majority of Victoria over the next three months.
AFAC chief executive Rob Webb said an elevated risk over the coming cooler months came down to an increased long-term dryness, and “persistent soil moisture deficits”.
Increased risk of fire is shown on the map in red. (Supplied: AFAC)
“For many parts of southern Australia, autumn sees the gradual reduction in fire risk and opportunities for prescribed burning can increase,” Mr Webb said.
“However, these programs may be delayed in some areas because of the underlying conditions.”
The AFAC Seasonal Bushfire Outlook has assessed fire potential between March and May.
Parts of Victoria have experienced a deluge of rain in recent weeks, with Kyabram in north-central Victoria recording 42.2 millimetres of rain yesterday.
Falls of over 50mm prompted flash flooding warnings in areas including Healesville, Castlemaine and Kyneton on Tuesday.
Despite the wetter weather, Mr Webb said it would take much more to battle the dry.
“Even with the anticipated rains in the south-east in the short term, much more would be required to overcome the long-term moisture deficits,”
he said.
“We ask that communities stay alert throughout autumn and seek the latest advice from their local fire authority.”
Flames burn close to buildings in Darlington, in Perth’s eastern suburbs. (ABC News)
Fatal fire season
Australia’s fatal 2025/2026 bushfire season has been marked by extreme heat across the nation, and bushfires that burned for more than a month.
In Western Australia, two farmers were killed while fighting bushfires in December.
A man in his 60s died while trying to build a fire break around his Ravensthorpe property on WA’s south coast on December 1.
Two weeks later, a 34-year-old farmer was killed when a tree fell on his vehicle while he was helping fire crews battle a bushfire at Mindarabin, in WA’s Great Southern region.
Multiple fires were started across WA in January by 2,500 lightning strikes.
In Victoria, an advice warning remains in place for a 1,231-hectare fire that started last week, north of Woods Point.
More than 400,000 hectares of land has burned across the southern state, including 120,000 hectares in the Walwa-Mt Lawson State Park in early January.
Meanwhile, tourist operators along the Great Ocean Road areas of Lorne, Apollo Bay and the Twelve Apostles are pleading for visitors to return after fires and floods put a dent in trade during summer.
Victoria Deputy Emergency Management Commissioner Brett Boatman said there was a significant amount of dead and dry foliage and grass across the state.
“The risk is not restricted to our forests and national parks,” Mr Boatman said.
“Our message to all Victorians is to be aware of the risk, and to have a plan.”
Mr Boatman said recovery support was still available for people impacted by recent bushfires.
He thanked international crews for their assistance to fire crews across Victoria, as Canadian firefighters were heading back overseas today.
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load