The journalist said they ‘missed a scoop to maintain my friendships’
A Mail on Sunday editor said she knew the Princess of Wales was pregnant with her and Prince William’s first child before telling the Royal Family, the High Court heard.
Charlotte Griffiths, the editor at large at the Daily Mail, explained she did nothing with the information because she did not want to “cross a line”.
Ms Griffiths was giving evidence in the trial of claims brought forward by Prince Harry and six other claimants suing Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), alleging they were victims of blagging, phone hacking and other unlawful activity.
ANL has vigorously denied the claims.

Charlotte Griffiths, the editor at large at the Daily Mail, said William told her that Catherine ‘was pregnant’
| GETTY
On March 10, Ms Griffiths told the court that days before it was announced William and Catherine were expecting their first child, she attended a country house party and told friends the Princess of Wales had morning sickness, so would not be attending.
In her witness statement, Ms Griffiths said: “I draw a line between my professional and own personal social life, as compared to my attending events as a journalist.
“For example, friends invited me to a country weekend in the last week of November, the first weekend of December 2012, which both Prince William and Kate Middleton were also expected to attend.
“William arrived solo on the Friday and explained that Kate was suffering with morning sickness.

The journalist said she kept the information to herself
| GETTY
“The fact that she was pregnant with their first child would have been big news, and St James’s Palace only confirmed it the following Monday because she had to be admitted to hospital.
“I decided to keep it to myself.
“Geordie (Greig, then editor) found out that I had known and was quite annoyed that I hadn’t reported it to him on the Friday ahead of the palace statement on the Monday as we would have scooped the rest of the press, but it was information I had learned at a private event and that I was attending in a personal capacity so I treated it as such.
“I missed a scoop to maintain my friendships and because I knew where the line was and had decided not to cross it.”

‘William explained Kate had morning sickness’, Ms Griffiths said
| PA
Ms Griffiths also discussed her social interactions with Prince Harry and how she was sent his number on Facebook in 2011 after not initially remembering.
She said: “I do remember that around that date (of the text messages) I had been out at a club night with our mutual friend, Arthur, who then invited me back to his house for an after party.
“He told me that Prince Harry would let me in if I made it there first. The music was loud, and they didn’t hear the doorbell, so Arthur advised me to call and text to be let in.
“That particular night stuck in my mind as I remember it was around the time of the Trooping of the Colour and we all thought it was quite funny that Prince Harry had stayed up all night and said he had to go to that or something related in the morning.”

Ms Griffiths also discussed her social interactions with Prince Harry
| GETTY
David Sherborne, representing the group against ANL, claimed Ms Griffiths had “invented” the story, which she said was “incorrect”.
She also denied his suggestion that it was another example of her “making up” connections with the Royal Family.
Mr Sherborne claimed that Ms Griffiths employed private investigators who engaged in illegal activities to produce articles in the claim concerning Sir Elton John and Liz Hurley.
The court also heard testimony from David Dillon, the editor of the Mail on Sunday, who began presenting his evidence in the case.
He said: “In over 25 years at the Mail on Sunday, I have never known of anyone hacking or tapping a phone, nor have I ever been asked to, asked anyone else to, or hacked or tapped a phone myself.”
He is due to continue giving evidence on March 11.
News
BREAKING: WOMAN JA1LED AFTER D:RUNKEN SPEEDBOAT C:RASH LEFT YOUNG SWIMMER “T0RN TO SHR3DS”
Woman who drunkenly ran over two swimmers while driving a speed boat is jailed – as gory details of victim’s injuries emerge A woman who left two swimmers with horrific injuries after running them over while drunk‑driving a speedboat has…
RACING LEGEND KYLE BUSCH D!ES AT 41 HOURS AFTER BEING HOSPITALIZED WITH ‘SER1OUS 1LLNESS’
NASCAR legend Kyle Busch dead at 41… just hours after he was hospitalized with ‘serious illness’ Kyle Busch, one of the most decorated drivers in NASCAR history, has died suddenly at the age of 41. The two-time Cup Series champion…
CAMP MYSTIC MEDICAL OFFICER BREAKS DOWN IN COURT AFTER BEING ACCUSED OF ABANDONING CAMPERS BEFORE D3ADLY TEXAS FL00D
Camp Mystic top medical officer ABANDONED young campers before 25 were killed in devastating Texas flood, new documents show Texas officials have faulted Camp Mystic’s top medical officer for abandoning campers in the hours before 25 young girls and two camp…
BREAKING: CAMP MYSTIC HEALTH OFFICER LOSES NURSING LICENSE AFTER D3ADLY FL00D D1SASTER
Camp Mystic top medical officer ABANDONED young campers before 25 were killed in devastating Texas flood, new documents show Texas officials have faulted Camp Mystic’s top medical officer for abandoning campers in the hours before 25 young girls and two camp…
MAN WHO SPARKED AVALON AIRPORT B0MB SCARE BREAKS SILENCE AFTER CLAIMING HE WAS “TREATED LIKE A TERR0R1ST”
‘This is wild’: Young traveller who sparked bomb scare at Avalon Airport breaks his silence A young traveller said he was treated like a ‘terrorist’ after two innocuous items in his luggage sparked a lockdown at one of Australia’s busiest…
“ONE SEAGULL… ONE JACKET… AND EIGHT WORDS THAT LEFT EVERYONE LAUGHING.”
King Charles’s hilarious 8-word response after bird poos on his jacket during seaside trip King Charles didn’t let the mishap ruin his second day in Northern Ireland. King Charles with bird poo on his suit jacket in Northern Ireland (Image: GB…
End of content
No more pages to load