‘This is wild’: Young traveller who sparked bomb scare at Avalon Airport breaks his silence
A young traveller said he was treated like a ‘terrorist’ after two innocuous items in his luggage sparked a lockdown at one of Australia’s busiest airports.
The man was travelling from Melbourne‘s Avalon Airport to Sydney on Thursday when security detected a suspicious item hidden in a hot chocolate container.
Victoria’s bomb squad unit was called to the airport as passengers were evacuated, sparking an hours-long delays for the rest of the day.
On closer inspection, the item was revealed to be a laser hair removal device.
The young man, who did not want to be named, told 9News he initially followed other passengers outside during the evacuation before being approached by police.
He was taken into custody while officers tested the device and the powdered hot chocolate inside his bag.
‘This is wild. You’re being accused of being a terrorist, so that’s a pretty big deal,’ he said.
‘They didn’t really tell me what was going on. What was the suspicion, what did you find inside?’

+3
View gallery
A young traveller said he was treated like a ‘terrorist’ after two innocuous items in his luggage sparked a lockdown at one of Australia’s busiest airports

+3
View gallery
The bomb squad was called after security flagged a couple of items in a passenger’s luggage
The man was eventually cleared by security and caught a later flight to Sydney.
Passengers were let back into the terminal five hours after the items were identified.
Victoria Police Acting Inspector Nick Uebergang said the hair removal device was inside a cardboard hot chocolate container.
He said the young passenger wasn’t overly cooperative when explaining the contents of his luggage.
Inspector Uebergang said the man’s ‘confident’ attitude only fuelled more suspicion.
‘It made things difficult, we could have averted things and got out of here a lot quicker,’ Inspector Uebergang said.
‘It’s fair to say that the person that had the bag probably wasn’t too cooperative with us to start off with, which made things more difficult.
‘He wasn’t giving too much information to us about what was in his bag.’

+3
View gallery
A laser hair remover was found inside a cardboard cylinder hot chocolate container
An airport spokesman said a person had been detained after a security scare.
Avalon Airport also thanked police for their response to the incident.
‘Today’s response demonstrates the vigilance of the screening and security processes, with precautionary measures taken immediately to ensure the safety of passengers, staff and the broader community, which will always remain our highest priority,’ the airport said.
A police spokesman said the man was released without charge.
On top of the security incident, a damaged X-ray machine caused further delays at Avalon Airport, which is located 50km from the Melbourne CBD.
source: Man who sparked bomb scare at busy Aussie airport breaks his silence after being ‘treated like a terrorist’ | Daily Mail Online
News
“ONE SEAGULL… ONE JACKET… AND EIGHT WORDS THAT LEFT EVERYONE LAUGHING.”
King Charles’s hilarious 8-word response after bird poos on his jacket during seaside trip King Charles didn’t let the mishap ruin his second day in Northern Ireland. King Charles with bird poo on his suit jacket in Northern Ireland (Image: GB…
“FOR 15 MINUTES… PEOPLE THOUGHT THE KING WAS GONE.”
UK radio station mistakenly announces King Charles’ death in on-air blunder King Charles III was mistakenly declared dead by a UK radio station Tuesday in a shocking on-air blunder that left listeners stunned before the station suddenly went silent. Radio…
“‘SHE WILL LOVE THAT…’ — King Charles’ Quiet Gift For Princess Charlotte Is Melting Hearts Worldwide
The King picked up a special gift for his eldest granddaughter Princess Charlotte during his trip to Belfast yesterday. Charles, 77, together with Queen Camilla, made a visit to Northern Ireland this week and toured a digital learning hub on Tuesday where he met local business owners supported…
“VIEWERS SAY THE FINAL TWIST BROKE THEIR BRAINS…”
Calling all romance fans! Prime Video’s upcoming eight-part series, Every Year After, hits TV screens this June – and it’s shaping up to be a must-watch for anyone who loves a messy love story. The series, which comes from Sex and the…
“SHE WAS ONLY 13… AND SUDDENLY THE WORLD WANTED HER GONE.”
Netflix’s Most Haunting True Story: A Young Girl’s Defiant Stand Against the Shadows of WWII In the annals of human endurance, few tales burn as brightly as that of survival amid unimaginable horror. Netflix’s latest release, Shadows of the Forgotten, has…
“FANS THOUGHT THE CHAOS WAS OVER… THEN NETFLIX RENEWED IT.”
‘Big Mistakes’ Renewed for Season 2 at Netflix With New Partnership With Dan Levy Announced Picture Credit: Netflix Schitt’s Creek co-creator Dan Levy’s new Netflix series Big Mistakes ends with twists and cliffhangers aplenty, leaving the door wide open for more seasons. What’s…
End of content
No more pages to load