A violent ex-con squatting in a swanky West Village building has allegedly spent months terrorizing his neighbors — who say he has turned his apartment into a “flophouse” and regularly threatens to kill them.

Tenants and the landlord say Melvin DeJesus weaseled his way into an elderly man’s rent-controlled apartment in the desirable location, at 400 Bleecker St., last summer, and then never left when the man died later that year.
“He says he’s going to kill the tenants and he’s ready to die,” said one neighbor in the building, where a two-bedroom unit recently rented for $6,700 a month.
The tenant was too scared of DeJesus — who has a terrifying rap sheet, including a 1987 attempted murder charge in the Bronx — would come after them and requested to remain anonymous.

Tenants and a landlord’s lawsuit say violent ex-con Melvin DeJesus is squatting in a rent-controlled apartment and terrorizing residents..William Farrington for NY Post
The owner of the building, The Brodsky Organization, is now suing the ex-con for $5.5 million, in addition to an ongoing eviction proceeding that could take months to resolve.
In one hours-long screed last week, DeJesus screamed, “You started a war and I’m going to finish it!” when residents discovered a five-gallon tank of gasoline outside his door and called the cops, according to the lawsuit.
“I’m going to throw your ass off the motherf—ing roof,” the neighbor from hell screamed, the suit claims.
But DeJesus claims the enviable West Village pad is rightfully his, because the now-deceased longtime tenant was actually his gay lover of 30 years.

“He says he’s going to kill the tenants and he’s ready to die,” said one neighbor at 400 Bleeker St. — where a two-bedroom unit recently rented for $6,700 a month.William Farrington for NY Post
“The landlord is knowingly lying about my status in this rent-controlled apartment despite my 31-year history with my spouse/domestic partner,” DeJesus wrote in a reply to the eviction proceeding, adding that his mail has been delivered there “for over 30 years.”
DeJesus did not respond to a request for comment.
“He’s threatened that he has knives and weapons,” said another terrified tenant. “I pray to god he doesn’t actually.”
The ex-con took a plea deal in the attempted murder charge and was sentenced to 2-4 years in prison for assault. But his disturbing rap sheet doesn’t end there.

Residents discovered a five-gallon tank of gasoline outside of his door earlier this month, and called the cops. New York County Clerk
DeJesus was found guilty at trial of drug dealing in 1993, where he was handed a sentence of up to 10 years, according to the Bronx District Attorney’s office.
“Absolutely floored that this is the new normal,” another tenant told The Post. “He’s a terrorizer,” the resident added. “A violent, violent criminal.”
The “nightly disturbances” began last summer, the lawsuit claims.
On June 26, cops responded to a 911 call, where DeJesus allegedly screamed that “he had a knife and was ready to use it” during a “prolonged confrontation” in the stairwell for nearly an hour.
Police confirmed to The Post that two people were taken to the hospital by EMS during the distress call, one with a minor arm injury.
Tenants have called the cops many other times on their nutty neighbor, but despite police showing up again and again, nothing ever happens.

The gas can was gone when The Post visited on Thursday.NY Post/Georgett Roberts
“Sometimes he’ll tone it when [cops] are here. When they leave, he starts up again, ‘I dare you to call them again,’” said a resident. “He knows where the line is to not get arrested.”
Another said that the cops were at the building multiple times Wednesday night, but were unable to do anything, “because it wasn’t an immediate threat,” they said.
Cops confirmed they came by twice that night, but since they didn’t personally witness the alleged harassment, there was nothing they could do, sources said.
“I don’t feel comfortable here,” another tenant griped. “I don’t want to get killed.”
DeJesus allegedly shacked up with the longtime rent-controlled tenant at apartment 5B, octogenarian John Grafenecker, neighbors said. Grafenecker lived in the apartment from 1974 until he died in October.
The owner of the building only discovered Grafenecker had died when they tried to take him to court over two months of missed rent — and instead of the 84-year-old, DeJesus was there and announced his alleged roommate was dead, the suit claims.
Grafenecker “repeatedly denied” that DeJesus lived in his apartment, according to court papers.
Tenants were unsure how the odd couple knew each other, and despite sometimes seeing DeJesus carry groceries for the senior citizen, the two constantly fought and argued — loudly.

“I’m going to throw your ass off the motherf—ing roof,” DeJesus screamed, the suit claims.William Farrington for NY Post

“The stairwell reeked of gasoline,” said a tenant, who saw the fire department demand he remove the tanks. New York County Clerk
“Once he got into a scuffle with the old man,” a tenant recalled. “He said, ‘I’m going to throw you down the stairwell.’”
DeJesus has since allegedly turned apartment 5B into a “flophouse” filled with mattresses and garbage, the suit claims, with a “scary group of people” coming in and out, said one tenant.
Several of DeJesus’ “guests” were hauled away in an ambulance when cops were called for a wellness check in January, according to the suit.
The Brodsky Organization — one of the developers turning the Flatiron Building into condos and previously accused of being a slumlord — did not reply for comment.
“After the death threats, I’m thinking of moving,” a tenant said. “No one wants to deal with this.”
News
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
PRIVATE LIFE FIRST: Dara Huang OPENS UP ABOUT WHY Princess Beatrice’S STEPSON IS KEPT OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT
Wolfie has been seen at Sandringham and the Princess of Wales’s annual carol service Dara Huang has offered a rare insight into how she protects her son, Christopher “Wolfie” Woolf Mapelli Mozzi. The mother-of-one revealed that she deliberately avoids sharing…
Royal Frenzy in Italy: Catherine, Princess of Wales, Stirring Up Crowds – But Her Real Mission Has Only Just Begun 🇮🇹
Princess of Wales draws screaming crowds in Italy as Catherine’s real mission begins The future queen showed how she plans to turn global fascination into lasting change There is no doubt that the Princess of Wales is an international icon….
Trouble continues to mount for Prince Andrew as new action is reportedly being taken to remove one of his remaining public honours
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor suffers fresh blow as action taken to strip former duke of Freedom honour The censure motion will come before the Court of Common Council at its meeting on May 21 The City of London Corporation has decided to…
What’s behind the fresh new look? Meghan Markle has sparked buzz after updating her profile picture and giving both her Instagram and As Ever website a noticeable refresh.
Meghan Markle in major rebrand as Duchess changes profile picture The Duchess of Sussex has given her Instagram and As Ever website a new look. Meghan Markle had a major rebrand (Image: Getty) Meghan Markle has updated her Instagram profile picture for…
“SILENCE SPEAKS VOLUMES…” — Meghan Faces Backlash Over Mother’s Day Post
Meghan Slammed After Leaving Doria Ragland Out of Mother’s Day Tribute: ‘Silence Speaks Volumes’ Meghan Markle’s Mother’s Day silence is being dissected by royal watchers following her latest brand expansion. Meghan Markle and her mother, Doria Ragland, at an event…
End of content
No more pages to load