An apparent large-scale operation Friday night tied to the disappearance of 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie marks a “significant escalation” in the Arizona case, with investigators now racing to canvas neighborhoods and fast-track critical DNA evidence, according to a retired FBI agent.

Acting on a lead, the Pima County SWAT team and the FBI on Friday executed a federal search warrant at a Tucson-area home roughly 2 miles from Guthrie’s home, detaining three people.
A fourth person was detained after a traffic stop at a Culver’s restaurant parking lot in Tucson, and a gray Range Rover was searched and towed from the parking lot.
Jason Pack, a retired FBI supervisory special agent with more than two decades of service, told Fox News Digital the developments have the “hallmarks of agents acting on specific, actionable intelligence.”
However, Pack noted the real investigative work is just getting started.
While the searches and interviews were ongoing Friday night, Pack said other teams of agents and analysts were likely already planning a full neighborhood canvas around the location that was searched.
“They’ll be going door to door, looking to talk face to face with neighbors,” Pack said. “They want to identify patterns of life for each of the people detained. … It will help corroborate or dispute whatever those who were detained are telling agents right now. If someone says ‘I wasn’t home that night,’ a neighbor’s Ring camera might tell a different story. Investigators are building the box.”

FBI agents watch as a gray Range Rover SUV is towed away from a parking lot outside a restaurant in Tucson, Arizona, on Feb. 13, 2026.Getty Images

Investigators collect evidence from a Range Rover on Feb. 13, 2026.REUTERS
Aside from canvassing the area, Pack said the most pressing concern is likely processing new evidence collected from at least two locations Friday night.
“DNA that doesn’t belong to Nancy Guthrie or anyone close to her has already been identified at her property. Gloves have been recovered. Now you’ve got whatever was inside that Range Rover that warranted agents draping it with a tarp before the cameras could see,” he said. “All of that evidence needs to get to a lab.”
Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos recently defended his department’s use of a private Florida lab to process evidence in the case, telling Fox News earlier this week the FBI agreed it was best to continue with the contracted business rather than transfer the evidence to the FBI’s comprehensive crime lab in Quantico, Virginia.

A glove was found off the side of a road near Nancy Guthrie’s home by investigators on Feb. 11, 2026.Andy Johnstone for NY Post

NBC “Today” show host Savannah Guthrie with her mother, Nancy Guthrie.Nathan Congleton/NBC via Getty Images

Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos speaks during an interview on Feb. 13, 2026.REUTERS
However, Pack stressed the situation is a race against the clock.
“Here’s the question. Do they wait until Monday to commercially ship it to a private lab? In past high-profile cases, I’ve seen FBI aircraft used to immediately shuttle evidence to the FBI Laboratory at Quantico,” he said.
“That eliminates days of waiting. In a case involving a vulnerable 84-year-old woman who is without her heart medication, where every hour matters, you don’t wait for FedEx on Monday morning.”

An armed, masked individual captured on video outside Nancy Guthrie’s home on Feb. 1, 2026.FBI via Getty Images

Law enforcement agents outside Nancy Guthrie’s home in Tucson, Arizona, on Feb. 13, 2026.James Keivom for NY Post
Pack reiterated that, in a time-sensitive case, authorities cannot afford to lose a weekend debating how to process evidence.
“That decision should have been made days ago. Which lab, which courier, what’s the turnaround?” he said. “If the FBI has the lead, Quantico is the logical answer, and I’d expect evidence to be wheels-up before the sun sets today.”
Authorities have not yet confirmed whether the newly obtained evidence will be flown to the private lab or Quantico or when it will take flight.
News
Tributes are pouring in for Dr Nikhil Autar, a pioneering young doctor and former NSW Young Australian of the Year, who has d!3d at just 32
Tributes flow for pioneering doctor, former NSW Young Australian of the Year Dr Nikhil Autar following death at age 32 A “beloved” young doctor and former NSW Australian of the Year who overcame teenage leukaemia has died aged 32. A…
TRAGIC CRASH VERDICT — Man sentenced over f4tal collision that k!ll3d Ian Welldon in Toowoomba
Man sentenced for killing Ian Welldon in Toowoomba truck and motorcycle crash Ian Welldon was described by his family as funny, kind and hard-working. (Supplied: Welldon family) Allan John Eveleigh has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail after pleading guilty…
PASSION OVERLOAD: PRINCE WILLIAM LOSES HIMSELF IN FOOTBALL FEVER AS ASTON VILLA MAKES HISTORY — EVERY EMOTION CAUGHT ON CAMERA
Prince William posts celebratory message after experiencing every emotion as Aston Villa achieves major triumph – all the photos The Prince of Wales headed out to Turkey on Wednesday to watch Aston Villa play Freiburg as they vied for the…
A quiet royal figure is suddenly back in the spotlight. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, husband of Princess Beatrice, is celebrating positive news after keeping a notably low profile
Princess Beatrice’s husband Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi celebrates good news after keeping low profile Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie and their husbands have been keeping a low profile amid scandals facing Sarah Ferguson and Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor doardo Mapelli Mozzi is celebrating some much-needed…
“A Royal ‘Blessing’ from Above! King Charles Takes Bird Mishap in Stride During Northern Ireland Visit — And Honestly, We Love Him Even More for It”
“A Royal ‘Blessing’ from Above! King Charles Takes Bird Mishap in Stride During Northern Ireland Visit — And Honestly, We Love Him Even More for It” King Charles was pooed on during a royal engagement in Northern Ireland | GB NEWS…
Meghan Markle is once again in the headlines, with reports claiming she continues to seek publicity online despite recently speaking out against social media during an appearance in Geneva
Meghan Markle ‘seeks publicity’ online despite recent attack on social media in Geneva The Duchess of Sussex addressed a crowd in Switzerland on the perils of social media yesterday evening Meghan Markle “seeks publicity” online, a royal commentator has claimed,…
End of content
No more pages to load