Teenager’s brain secretly kept by university lab for 50 years after fatal motorcycle crash
Fifty years after burying his brother and best friend, John Santi spent almost every fortnight by his grave site.
So when he saw his brother’s name in a newspaper along with 143 others calling for family members to contact the coroner, it marked the beginning of 16 months of hell culminating in a formal apology from the Tasmanian government.
Tony Santi had died in a motorcycle crash when he was 19 in 1976.
A 13-year-old John remembered his brother’s body being taken to the Royal Hobart Hospital before his family received the remains to be buried.
But a coronial investigation in September found the University of Tasmania‘s RA Rodda Museum secretly kept 177 human autopsy samples for teaching and research purposes between 1966 and 1991.
Tony was one of them.
The remains were collected without the knowledge or approval of families or loved ones.
‘We buried him 50 years ago, only to find out 50 years later that these people had stolen his brain,’ John told AAP.

+3
View gallery
Fifty years after burying his brother and best friend Tony Santi (pictured), John Santi spent almost every fortnight by his grave site

+3
View gallery
Santi’s gravesite is seen being attended to by family members
‘I went to my brother’s grave site every second week and then to realise he wasn’t even all there.’
The Tasmanian government will on Tuesday formally apologise for the past practice of retaining body parts after autopsies without the knowledge or consent of family members.
John recalled the confusion among him and his brothers after seeing Tony’s name in the paper in 2025.
A coroner told him it was just a minute piece of brain that had been kept.
‘When I met the funeral people at the cemetery to rebury that piece of brain, they passed it to me in a shoe box,’ John said.
‘I opened up the shoe box and it was his whole brain.
‘To have to rebury a loved one twice in 50 years is inconceivable.’
A coronial probe was launched in 2016 after the museum’s curator raised concerns three specimens had been kept without the consent of the coroner or families involved.

+3
View gallery
A coronial investigation in September found the University of Tasmania’s RA Rodda Museum secretly kept 177 human autopsy samples for teaching and research purposes
‘I went to my brother’s grave site every second week and then to realise he wasn’t even all there.’
The Tasmanian government will on Tuesday formally apologise for the past practice of retaining body parts after autopsies without the knowledge or consent of family members.
John recalled the confusion among him and his brothers after seeing Tony’s name in the paper in 2025.
A coroner told him it was just a minute piece of brain that had been kept.
‘When I met the funeral people at the cemetery to rebury that piece of brain, they passed it to me in a shoe box,’ John said.
‘I opened up the shoe box and it was his whole brain.
‘To have to rebury a loved one twice in 50 years is inconceivable.’
A coronial probe was launched in 2016 after the museum’s curator raised concerns three specimens had been kept without the consent of the coroner or families involved.

+3
View gallery
A coronial investigation in September found the University of Tasmania’s RA Rodda Museum secretly kept 177 human autopsy samples for teaching and research purposes
Now-deceased forensic pathologist Royal Cummings had provided the large majority of the specimens to the museum, coroner Simon Cooper said in his September report.
The remains in question were removed from public display in 2018, before the coroner’s office spent years reconciling records to determine their origin.
Independent MP Meg Webb said the formal apology was an important step in responsibility and accountability, but it won’t undo the harm caused, answer all unresolved questions, or rebuild broken trust.
‘There may need to be further steps taken to consider appropriate redress for affected families for the unspeakable treatment of their loved ones,’ she said.
John hopes for accountability for the departments involved, justice for those who stole people’s organs and compensation for the trauma they’ve suffered.
‘It has taken so long, and it’s been so traumatic for the families, and still is, and I don’t think the apology is going to make much difference to anybody,’ he said.
The University of Tasmania has previously apologised and met with families.
SOURCE: Teenager’s brain secretly kept by university lab for 50 years after fatal motorcycle crash | Daily Mail Online
News
“SHE SAID SHE COULDN’T WALK… THEN THEY CAUGHT HER RUNNING 10K RACES” BENEFITS FRAUD CASE LEAVES UK IN SH0CK
Moment ‘housebound’ benefit cheat takes part in combat classes and works out at the gym – as she is jailed for £25,000 fraud A ‘housebound’ benefits cheat has been jailed after she was caught on camera taking part in combat…
BREAKING: “SHE PASSED AWAY DOING WHAT SHE LOVED” HEARTBROKEN TRIBUTE TO YOUNG SOLDIER K!LLED AFTER FALL AT ROYAL WINDSOR HORSE SHOW LEFT THE NATION IN TEARS
Soldier who died at Royal Windsor Horse Show attended by King was ‘doing what she loved’, says her heartbroken mum A SOLDIER who died at the Royal Windsor Horse Show was “doing what she loved”, her heartbroken mother has said….
LATEST UPDATE: HAU-NTING POST BY CAMPBELLTOWN MOM RESURFACES AFTER TRAGIC FAMILY H0RROR — Di-sturbing NEW DETAILS LEAVE AUSTRALIA IN SH0CK
Woman, 46, who was allegedly murdered in a suburban Campbelltown house alongside two young boys aged 12 and four had hauntingly posted about taking life for granted – as accused killer is arrested A female IT worker found dead in…
“THEY COULDN’T EVEN HOLD BACK THE TEARS…”
Caitríona Balfe and Sam Heughan in “Outlander.” (Starz) Over a decade after landing the leading heroine role in the beloved time-travel series “Outlander,” Caitriona Balfe remembers that the first time she was set to meet Sam Heughan, who would become her on-screen…
“EVERYONE’S BEEN WRONG FOR 7 YEARS…”
The finale of Outlander Season 8 left fans reeling in ways no one could have predicted. In the final moments, Claire’s hair had turned completely white—solving a mystery that has been haunting viewers since Season 4. The explosive conclusion centered on the…
“AFTER FIVE YEARS… THE MASTERPIECE IS FINALLY COMING BACK.”
Netflix users, this is not a drill! The highly-acclaimed French comedy-drama, Call My Agent!, is returning to screens five years after its final episode. The series, which first premiered in 2015, is returning to the platform as a feature film this autumn,…
End of content
No more pages to load