A hero who lost her life
Lisa Maclennan woke up campers before the deadly landslide, and urged them to evacuate
A Morrinsville teacher has been credited as the hero who saved lives by urging other campers to evacuate before the deadly landslide hit Mt Maunganui Beachside Holiday Park.
Waikato man Lance McFarlane said Lisa Maclennan woke him and his daughter from their tent early on Thursday morning, about 4.30am, to warn them about slips.
“She actually woke us up and asked if we were OK. I just said ‘yeah, no, we’re OK’. We didn’t know, me and my daughter, we didn’t know anything, we didn’t hear anything until she woke us up.”
The slip scene on Saturday. Police said that recovery efforts were on pause because geotechnical engineers had spotted a large crack on the left side of the hillside.
The search for those who were caught in the landslide – including Maclennan continued over the weekend.
However, police announced midSunday they’d had to stop due to concerns another slip could be to come.
MacLennan, 50, was a Literacy Centre tutor at Morrinsville Intermediate School and a talented costume maker.
McFarlane, the camper, said she was staying in the site next to them and had woken up after a small slip had pushed her caravan forward.
“She’s done a very good job of getting people to move and making them aware.
“She was warning everyone that there was slips, [saying] I recommend you move because she felt guilty if she didn’t tell them.”
They immediately got up, and while they were shifting their gear they could see other slips moving.
McFarlane said she told him she had been contacting officials to make them aware of the slip.
After being woken up by Maclennan, he and his daughter had packed up and were waiting for the camp’s office to give them a refund when the deadly landslide hit at 9.30am.
He left his ute in front of the complex to go for a walk with his daughter in the meantime, and they got about 10 metres when the slip happened.
“I just heard the noise and I just looked up and I just said, ‘run’, and we just ran.”
Since the slip, his priority had been his daughter’s safety and getting her away from the scene of the tragedy.
Police announced yesterday that recovery efforts were on pause because geotechnical engineers had spotted a large crack on the left side of the hillside.
It would have been “foolish” and “negligent” to continue work,
Bay of Plenty District Commander Superintendent Tim Anderson told media yesterday afternoon.
He acknowledged pulling back was frustrating for both family members and for police staff working on the site.
“We’ve had to do that for the safety of everyone concerned.”
Procedures had been in place to keep staff safe, including a risk assessment by experts each morning before work started for the day.
And they were committed to recovering the six victims, Anderson said.
“All of our police staff, the rescue staff, and everyone is 100% committed to bringing those loved ones back for these families, and we will remain here until we continue to achieve that aim.”
Further assessments were being done by experts and more advanced and sensitive technology was being brought onto the site to aid recovery work.
Other people confirmed missing following the landslide are Sharon
Maccanico, 15 from Auckland; Max Furse-Kee, 15 from Auckland; Susan Knowles, 71, from Rotorua; Måns Bernhardsson, 20, from Sweden; and Jacqualine Wheeler, 71, from Rotorua.
Tauranga City Council has announced that there will be an independent review of the events leading up to the slip.
News
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
“Vanished Without a Trace” – CCTV Footage of Devon Teen Sparks Chilling New Theory After 12 Days of Silence
Large-scale search continues to find missing teen Taylor Charlton was last seen on CCTV on 8 May in Barnstaple Detectives say a large-scale police investigation is continuing as part of efforts to find a missing Devon teenager. Devon and Cornwall…
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
End of content
No more pages to load