From crossbow assassination plot to knife attack on guards – read on for more stories on previous royal security scares
AN intruder twice got into the grounds of William and Kate’s Kensington Palace residence just days before Christmas.
Derek Egan, 39, seen with a “heavy rucksack”, climbed over a fence before he was nicked in the gardens on both days.

An intruder twice got into the grounds of William and Kate’s Kensington Palace residence days before ChristmasCredit: Splash

Derek Egan was seen with a ‘heavy rucksack’ as he climbed over a fence before being nicked in the gardens on both daysCredit: Getty
He is now being held in custody and royal aides were informed of the security breaches.
Egan has been charged with two counts of trespassing on December 21 and December 23.
The intruder, said to have been seen carrying a heavy rucksack, was twice nabbed by cops from the Met Police Royal and Specialist Protection Command who dashed to find him in the palace gardens.
Former head of the Met Police’s Royal and Specialist Protection branch Dai Davies told The Sun: “The fact he repeated the offending after being given bail, given the nature of it, gives serious cause for concern.
This shows the police can never be off guard when protecting our Royal Family
Top cop
“The police must work out what level of danger the Royal Family were in, and based on the charges, why on Earth he was given bail?”
The respected ex-top cop added: “Any attempt to get into Kensington Palace needs careful investigation into the motive, any mental health concerns, and if the person is fixated on a royal.
“If this person wasn’t already on a list, he certainly will be now.
“You never know what someone may do when they attempt to break in. There are still a number of royals living at Kensington Palace, so any intrusion is of course concerning.
“I’m glad this man has been caught. This shows the police can never be off guard when protecting our Royal Family.”
Kensington Palace is home to ten Royal Family members and numerous staff.
The Prince and Princess of Wales live in Windsor but use the palace’s 20-room Apartment 1A as their London home.
It is understood they were not at the palace at the time of the security scares.
But in the days before, the Waleses were in London preparing for Christmas at Sandringham.
William, 43, and son George, 12, helped to prepare Christmas dinner at The Passage homeless shelter in Westminster with head chef Claudette Dawkins.
On both occasions when the intruder scaled the fence, Kate and William are understood to have been staying at Anmer Hall, their private country home on the Sandringham estate.

William and son George helped to prepare Christmas dinner at The Passage homeless shelter in Westminster with head chef Claudette DawkinsCredit: Andrew Parsons / Kensington Palace
Bespectacled Egan, wearing a green jumper, exploded into a tirade of abuse and tried to smash up the glass-fronted dock when he appeared at Westminster magistrates’ court yesterday.
He was first meant to appear at Bromley magistrates’ court on Christmas Eve but refused to leave his prison van and was remanded in custody.
Egan, who had been on police bail after the first incident at the palace, told the court he had pleaded guilty.
A judge said he was unable to deal with him without the consent of the Attorney General.
District Judge Sam Goozee said: “I am going to proceed in a hearing in his absence on January 6 in view of his disorderly behaviour to officers of the court and the court itself. I am not granting him bail on the basis that if he is convicted, there is a real possibility he will receive a custodial sentence.”
Egan’s pleas will be confirmed at the next hearing on Tuesday.
The Crown Prosecution Service said: “The charges need the Attorney General’s consent because of national security concerns, but in this case security concerns against the Royal Family.
“The Attorney General needs to consider any further security risks before granting consent to prosecute.”
Also at Kensington Palace just before the incidents was the late Queen’s cousin, the Duke of Gloucester, 81, and his wife Birgitte van Deurs, 79, who live in its Old Stables.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s daughter Princess Eugenie, 35, her husband Jack Brooksbank, 39, and their two sons reside at Nottingham Cottage in the grounds, where Prince Harry and wife Meghan used to live.
Meanwhile, Prince Michael of Kent, 83, and his wife Princess Michael of Kent, 80, live at Wren House in the grounds, along with the Duke of Kent, 90.
Palace sources would not confirm which royals, if any, were at Kensington Palace — which was once home to Princess Diana — at the time of the raids.
A statue of Diana was unveiled by Harry and William in the Sunken Garden to mark what would have been their mother’s 60th birthday in 2021.
Parts of the building are open to the public and tourists throughout the year.
It is understood the intruder did not enter the main building and the area where he was stopped is not where members of the Royal Family live.
He is thought to have been captured after scaling fences on the public side of the palace near the entrance to Hyde Park before being spotted on CCTV.
A spokesman for the Royal Family did not want to comment.
The Waleses have been the targets of multiple security breaches in recent years.
William and Kate are now being protected by a huge no-go area banning locals from land near their new Forest Lodge home in Windsor.
CCTV cameras, massive fencing and landscaping will keep trespassers away from their eight-bed mansion.
Royal residences are also being protected by no-fly zones, banning aircraft or drones from passing within a 2,500ft altitude.

‘The fact he repeated the offending after being given bail, given the nature of it, gives serious cause for concern’, warn insidersCredit: Getty

Kensington Palace is home to ten Royal Family members and numerous staffCredit: Getty
News
ROYAL CELEBRATION TAKES A TOLL: PRINCE WILLIAM ‘LOSES HIS VOICE’ AFTER ASTON VILLA TRIUMPH
Prince William ‘lost his voice’ following night celebrating Aston Villa triumph The Prince of Wales was spotted enjoying celebrations following Villa’s triumph last night… and he was paying the price for it this morning The Prince of Wales revealed today…
“Vanished Without a Trace” – CCTV Footage of Devon Teen Sparks Chilling New Theory After 12 Days of Silence
Large-scale search continues to find missing teen Taylor Charlton was last seen on CCTV on 8 May in Barnstaple Detectives say a large-scale police investigation is continuing as part of efforts to find a missing Devon teenager. Devon and Cornwall…
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
End of content
No more pages to load