A former top FBI official has raised doubts about whether Savannah Guthrie’s 84-year-old mom, Nancy, is really still alive and being held by kidnappers.

“I’m very skeptical of this,” former FBI Assistant Director Chris Swecker told Fox News’ “The Big Weekend Show” on Sunday.

Former FBI Assistant Director Chris Swecker questioned whether Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance is truly a kidnapping during an appearance on “The Big Weekend Show.”Fox News
“Is this really a kidnapping? Does somebody really have her, and is she really alive?” he said of the fiends claiming to have her.
The former FBI bigwig voiced his suspicions after Savannah Guthrie and her two siblings took to social media to plead with their mother’s apparent abductor to return her — as they agreed to pay up to the abductors demanding $6 million ransom.
“If this was a kidnapping, it would be a very simple matter to authenticate and provide proof of life,” Swecker said, noting that no evidence had been “credibly authenticated at this point.”
“You have to allow for the possibility that this was something more or something other than a kidnapping.”
Swecker also pointed to the ransom demands being reported, which skyrocketed from $1 million to a reported $6 million in a matter of days.

Savannah Guthrie with her mother, Nancy Guthrie, in 2020.savannahguthrie/Instagram

A drone view of Nancy Guthrie’s house after the disappearance of the 84-year-old mother of Savannah Guthrie, who went missing from her home, in Tucson, Arizona, on Feb. 8, 2026.REUTERS
“Remember now, it was 1 million not too long ago. All of a sudden, it’s 6 million,” Swecker told the outlet.
“I really think there’s a third party here that’s just playing with them, opportunists who think they can exploit this situation.”
At least two purported ransom messages have surfaced since the “Today” show anchor’s ailing mom vanished from her Tucson home.
The first purported ransom note, which was sent to multiple media outlets a week ago, laid out two deadlines — one on Thursday, which passed, and a second on Monday, FBI officials said.
News
Two minutes ago: King Charles and Queen Camilla planted a symbolic tree in Northern Ireland — Royal Garden Party takes meaningful turn
King Charles and Queen Camilla plant royal tree at Northern Ireland garden party The couple have enjoyed an action-packed two days in Northern Ireland The King and Queen attended a garden party at Hillsborough Castle this afternoon, on the second…
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank were seen leaving Kensington Palace for a late-night outing at a private Mayfair club — and royal watchers are already buzzing
Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank take 20-minute drive from Kensington Palace to Mayfair club The pregnant royal is expecting her third child this summer Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank stepped out for an evening at the exclusive Mayfair venue Oswald’s…
ROYAL TIMING RAISES EYEBROWS: DUCHESS OF EDINBURGH SPOTTED IN GENEVA JUST DAYS AFTER MEGHAN’S EXIT A curious coincidence that’s getting people talking
Duchess of Edinburgh pictured in Geneva just days after Meghan Markle’s departure The Duchess of Sussex attended the inauguration of The Lost Screen Memorial on Sunday The Duchess of Edinburgh made an appearance at the World Health Assembly in Geneva…
UNDERWATER HORROR — Divers tragically d!3 in cave incident in the Maldives after being “sucked in” and unable to escape
UNDERWATER HORROR Maldives divers ‘were sucked into the cave & unable to swim out before running out of air’ – as final bodies recovered FIVE Italian divers who drowned in a tragic Maldives expedition may have been sucked into a…
Tributes are pouring in for Dr Nikhil Autar, a pioneering young doctor and former NSW Young Australian of the Year, who has d!3d at just 32
Tributes flow for pioneering doctor, former NSW Young Australian of the Year Dr Nikhil Autar following death at age 32 A “beloved” young doctor and former NSW Australian of the Year who overcame teenage leukaemia has died aged 32. A…
TRAGIC CRASH VERDICT — Man sentenced over f4tal collision that k!ll3d Ian Welldon in Toowoomba
Man sentenced for killing Ian Welldon in Toowoomba truck and motorcycle crash Ian Welldon was described by his family as funny, kind and hard-working. (Supplied: Welldon family) Allan John Eveleigh has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail after pleading guilty…
End of content
No more pages to load